newb, IC replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hy to every 1, first post in diy audio
just found my old venturer sts20-s 5.1 hometheater, i know it has dvd lens damage but im currently using it for av in audio=xbox 360 , thing is it has a blown ic ta8258 cant get replacement cause im in dominican republic, shipment is expensive, was wondering if i can get another just like it or better, increase wats or some.

only front n surrnd channels r runing can i swap srrnd ic to run center n sub= controled by blown ic
thanks in advance

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi 1manwolfpack,
can i test this suposed blown ic with a multimeter
No, not really. There are somethings you can check but you need to know what you are doing. Some multimeters will blow IC's if they run off a 22.5 V battery or higher. Same goes for low resistance scales.

So, a very qualified yes for very simple tests, but the best test is the circuit it's in.

n what about ba05st and b1566 can they be tested with multimeter?
Same answer as above. Don't.

was wondering if i can get another just like it or better, increase wats or some.
No. More things must be changed, like the power supply for one. You could bridge the speakers if they are not already.

Why not look up this IC and find out more about it?

-Chris

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

venturersts20-s.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx1-1.jpg

ok this is going in as stereo but coming out as mono thru right n left.
so i think is bridged, just dont know where.
this venturer has 3 audio output set up , prologic, 3 stereo and off, in prolgc if both lef n rght inputs r connected it dsnt sound, if only 1 channel is connected it sounds only in the output corresponding to the input, no sound comes from 3 stereo , n in off setting- left n right sounds with mono out in both output.

all ready bought the IC, but need help with this cause, i might mess the ic because of d bridge if theres any.
by the way no soldering in the bottom of pcb, other than the normal

I was googling ba05st b1566 combo and found this site
just registered to answer you :)

I have same home theatre system, but branded as
Akai DV-R3100SS
Mine uses LM1876T instead of ta8258, they are pin compatible.

You might want to check out PT2322-S chip on the bottom of the PCB. it is an Audio mixer with I2C control, it takes 9V from the collector of first 2SB1566. That first 2SB1566 is supplied with 13V from D801-D804.
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/167269/ETC/PT2322.html

trace its inputs and outputs, you might want to bridge them (input to output bypassing this chip) and see if you can hear sound

umm wait, mine is STS21 and i kinda lied about LM1876T and ta8258 being pin compatible :( just glanced at them instead of looking at pinouts

but i still think you could have problems with PT2322-S, bypassing that chip will give you an idea whers the problem, you might want to just use one sound Input and bridge it to all PT2322-S output pins checking if corresponding ta8258 work

so do i just solder a wire from input to output from the chip legs or do i scrape the trace n solder a wire from input to output. by the way I saw the datasheet, but was wondering cause im confused, r the inputs in the lower part n out puts on the upper part (taking that im reading the name of the chip left to right)

yep, pretty much yes, just solder a wire between input and output of a channel that has a signal and the one you want to test

you described garbled sound when you input something to more than one channel, so input only one channel and try bridging that channels input on PT2322-S to different outputs and listen

btw I dont think this unit has prologic or any other sound processing done on Audio inputs from the back, only from DVD and maybe from the Radio. DSP is on the DVD board (green one), and sound inputs are not router there (at least not on mine)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.