Will a tube preamp play nice with a F1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
I'm building a parafeed 396a preamp. I have also just ordered a set of F1 clone boards to see what all the huff is about. My question is are they going to play nice together or does the F1 need a special pre to make it happy? Thanks.

G,

The F1 has a balanced input with 1 Meg ohm to ground.
Figure its in parallel with the 400k and 500k. Still looks north of 150K total. Tube preamp should love that.

There is a 20V zener on each input, so that limits the output to an absolute maximum of 12Vrms or so.

My sense is that the gain of an F1 is much more dependant on the speaker and its impedance than normal.

What drivers / speakers are you planning to use?

Hopefully others can furnish practical experience.

HTH

Doug

G

Joined 2002
DougL said:
G,

The F1 has a balanced input with 1 Meg ohm to ground.
Figure its in parallel with the 400k and 500k. Still looks north of 150K total. Tube preamp should love that.

There is a 20V zener on each input, so that limits the output to an absolute maximum of 12Vrms or so.

My sense is that the gain of an F1 is much more dependant on the speaker and its impedance than normal.

What drivers / speakers are you planning to use?

Hopefully others can furnish practical experience.

HTH

Doug

Thanks for the reply Doug. I will be using the F2 (instead of the F1) with a pair of BR Fostex FE206E speakers with phase plugs. Hopefully this will be a nice combination.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.