Sony SCD1 "no disc" problem

Sony SCD1 "no disc" problem

Hi, that's my first post here :)
I've a SCD1 SACD player (firmware 2.53). Sometimes, whit a lot of discs, the player can't recognize the media and print "no disc" message on display.
The problem occurs with both CDs and SACD with irregular intervals. After the crisis it back to read normally, until the next problem that can occur after a minute or two days later.
Someone knows the reason for this? It's a know SCD's bug?

Someone has had experiences similar to this and knows how to resolve the issue (I would take it into a service center already knowing the cause of the problem!)

I know that there are test discs. Someone knows where to find them and how much it cost?
they are here:

SATD-S1 Optical Pickup Height Adjust disc.
SATD-S2 Reference disc single layer
SATD-S3 Reference disc dual layer
SATD-S4
Reference disc TCD-784

Please hel me!! What can I do?

Hi, it could be the laser or one of the motors on the transport area. This is an easy fix (for someone who knows these models inside-out) and the Sony dics are not needed to get these models working like new.

Anyway, I just want to find out if negus73 got his SCD-1 fix so I can help him in case he’s still having the problem.

Peter Daniel said:
My Sony SCD-777 developed similar problem; besides what mentioned in post #1, sometimes it also stops reading discs while playing.

If that can't be easily fixed, any suggestions where to get the new laser?

I wrote these comments on another forum in the past.

Everything time the RF or Main boards or laser unit are replaced, a set commands need to be executed in order for the player to work properly. All this is on the service manual. The player need to be set to ADJUSTMENT-1 MODE (page 11) and Overall Adjustment (Page 15) need to executed using the remote control keys (check the number codes, execute 62 first to clear the previous values and then 60-follow the full procedure described on page 15) THE SONY DISCS ARE NOT NEEDED, ALL YOU NEED IS A REGULAR CD AND A SINGLE LAYER SACD.

This process also applies when you swap these boards between players unless you swap the RF and Main boards at the same time.

The service manual for these models (SCD-1/SCD-77) is well written and it gives all the information needed to get them working like new. However good understanding on the technical terminology used is a must requirement. Many people don’t realize or forget that these models have many electronic components like the ones found on computers, and like computers peripherals you need to adjust bios/rom/cpu chips to get them working properly.

Replacing the laser unit without executing the adjustments will produce the problem you described and it is only a matter of time before the player stops working.

Good luck

Ps. I live in Europe, but in NA you can try http://www.nexttronics.com/ to get spare parts or just google the part number.

I have a similar problem with SCD 555ES (the European model).

The player can’t play the SACD layer on some hybrid discs, especially if the player is warm…
I replaced the optical pick-up (KHM-230AAA) still with the same problem.

The service manual for the 555 states that it’s not needed to align or calibrate the laser after replacing the optical pick-up.
I’m starting to believe that it’s the main board that is causing this problem. I was reading in another thread/forum that you could redo the soldering for the components on the main board and that would solve this issue. Haven’t tried that one yet do …

I have never tried a different drive, and I have my doubts that any drive mechanism other than the one specifically designed for the SCD-1/SCD-777 will work properly.

Sony does not sell the entire transport unit as a spare part, you can only get individual parts for it.

fas498,

I had Sony replace the drive on my SCD-C555ES while it was under warranty. It began to have problems playing the SACD layer of some hybrid discs.

The next time this problem occurs the player wouldn't be under warranty. Do you think it would be useful to realign the drive? Or I would need a new one?

On most Sony CDPs, every time parts are replaced on the transport drive, the realignment needs to be executed. The commands to be executed change from player to player so refer to the service manual of your model for instructions.

The realignment only needs to be done once, so if the CDP is having problems reading discs, parts need to be replaced on the transport (optical unit, motor(s), etc).

fixed "no disc" error!!!

Dear diyAudio community esp fas948,

Thank you so very much! Without this website and without fas948's expert advice I would be hauling my 65 lbs SCD-1 into the nearest authorized Sony repair shop. I live in New York and rely on the subway system, so I am glad I do not have to break my back lugging my player to Sony in New Jersey!

All the Best,
Evan:D

Hello Fast948.
First thanks for your information about the Sony SCD-777ES, I have one of this SACD player, but reading the service manual on the page 15, point 9 is confuse, because you say "the Sony discs are dont needed", but the manual in this section (Overall Adjustment) ask one SATD-S3 dual layer. ¿What can I do in this part on the adjust procedure?.

Best regards.
Nayo.

Hello Fast948.
First thanks for your information about the Sony SCD-777ES, I have one of this SACD player, but reading the service manual on the page 15, point 9 is confuse, because you say "the Sony discs are dont needed", but the manual in this section (Overall Adjustment) ask one SATD-S3 dual layer. ¿What can I do in this part on the adjust procedure?.

Best regards.
Nayo.

Hi,
I've bought a new laser pick-up off of ebay and trying to get the SCD-1 working. Is there some sort of specific procedure I have to do? Right now, I'm just trying random modes from the adjustment 1 table list from the service manual. When I try to turn on the focus servo, the player says 'focusing...' and that's it. It gets stuck or whatever and I have to turn it off and on again. Anybody knows how to do the adjustment properly?

Cheers,
Karl