Tad 4001 , ET-703 integration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
crossover

Hi,
I am using a 4001 and a 703. I tried different crossover frequencies. I started at 7000 Hz and now ended up at 5000 Hz.
I use a Neville-Thiele filter 1st order.
This is a digital filter and has a steep slope. Crossing at 5000HZ means at 2700Hz it has already -40dB. I am using "acourate" a software for making crossovers for up to 5-way speakers and a room correction system is implemented in acourate as well.
I am very pleased with the result.

Have a nice xmas.
heifisch

Hi Heifish
I thought that you're using TD2001 for a tweeter.
I've got TD4001 , also TM 1201 and ET 703 (all used ) just recently and try to cobble it in a system.
I'd have some questions regarding TD 4001 impedance. My units have ~7 Ohm DCR . According to some it's 8 Ohm driver but others say all 16 Oms TD 4001 measure between 4-8Ohm. J.M Le Cleach posted an impedance graph and it does show that driver impedance in Horn (I think it was TH4001 ) is 16 Ohm at 700 Hz .
I do not want to go into active crossover /multi amp config. I will use K-horns for bass and from 80-100 TM1201 in hypex horn up to 700 Hz.
What was your best sounding passive crossover ?
So far ( since I didn't build midbass horn yet I'm listenning to TD4001 in 350Hz horn crossed at 700Hz to altec 15" (no supertweeter attached) It has a resolution ,detail etc . It is fairly smooth but after 1/2 hour I'm tired of it.
Are you familiar with Cessaro crossover implementation?
Best regards and Happy Holidays as well
L

4001 703

Hi limono,
for impedance try arta. This is a nice software to measure frequency, impedance and a lot more. It has a very good manual and you can get lots of information how to build your measuring equipment and how to use it. It is not expensive and I think you can use it free, if you do not save your measurements.
If you have a mac, you can use fuzzmeasure for kind of similar things. In the fussmeasure manual is explained how to measure the impedance of a speaker.
Sorry, I have not tried passive crossover with the ET-703. I did a measurement and it goes down to 4000Hz. TAD recommend a 2nd order filter and a cutoff frequency not lower as 5000 Hz.
When I used the 2001 I had a ppassive crossover 1st order at about 4000 Hz. This was nice too, but it is not an easy setup because there are lots of frequencies both units play.
Sorry, I do not know what Cessaro is doing in their crossovers.
Best regards
heifisch

Hello Heifisch,
I am interested in building up a similar system like you have with a pair of TAD 4002 and ET-703.Unfortunately I don´t have any experience with this driver.Sure they are the top what you can get for money but I think I will struggle with the crossover set up.
I have seen that you are from the Cologne area.I am working on a temporary job here in Cologne.My question would be if it is possible from your side to exchange some information about that or even meet up for a listening test at your place.

Thanks.
Best regards.Alpinerunner

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the response graph of the TD-4001 and ET-703.
Perhaps these graphs might give an idea about integrating these two drivers.

Also, in the Exclusive 3401 speakers, the ET-703 is crossed at 7kHz.

Attachments

• TAD TD-4001 FR.jpg
    TAD TD-4001 FR.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 914
  • TAD ET-703 Response Gragh.gif
    TAD ET-703 Response Gragh.gif
    62.3 KB · Views: 910
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.