constructing sub voice coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got two 12" subs that i need to get fixed, question, if both are 4ohm and one can "take" twice as much power as the other,aka 250Wrms and 500Wrms, and ohm's law is applied, what changes with the voice coils?
wire length/thickness - gauge, no. of turns
I sort of need a formula where i can set ohm and power level and it tells me wire length or thickness or both.
...Now i know you guys can do this, else where am i gonna go...

The maximum continuous power it can handle depends on many things. The most important is that the heat could go somewhere => a voice coil with large area combined with a magnetic system that takes heat from the coil is good, it is also important that the voice coil can handle high temperature before it melts.
In other words it is not directly dependent on what kind of wire (thickness) you use...

The maximum continuous power it can handle depends on many things. The most important is that the heat could go somewhere => a voice coil with large area combined with a magnetic system that takes heat from the coil is good, it is also important that the voice coil can handle high temperature before it melts.
In other words it is not directly dependent on what kind of wire (thickness) you use...

(hmm tried to reply before but it disappeared.. I hope it works this time.. maybe I'm not smart enough..:) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.