How To Reformat Hard Disk With Windows ME

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
A friend has a computer with Windows ME whcich is continually crashing. He has decided to replace it with Windows 98 SE.

He bought the computer used, so he has no Windows ME CD. What we have is:
Windows 98 SE CD rom
Windows 98 SE startup disk

When Windows ME starts up, it goes immediately to an ME picture-no memory count or any time to put the computer in DOS mode.

We would like to reformat the hard drive, and install Windows 98 SE. The Windows 98 SE floppyb disk will not be accepted by the computer as long as Windows ME is on the drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

i have no experience so what i say is Only what ive heard.

aslong as u have a start up disk with ur cd rom drivers(very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1) u can go to dos and type format c:\

if u now restart the machine after its done,and put the start up floppy it Should work.it shud give u a little dos prompt,where u can put the cd in and easily install 98 SE :nod:

there are sometimes forums on the net where ppl know about this stuff.

i have heard horror stories of ME
i run Xp (which btw does have a blue screen of death if u buy ur pc from a crap company that cant configure ur stuff)

:dead: microsoft evil i want linux /XP dualboot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.