Stupid question about voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to everybody

I need an help... probably it's a stupid question but I need some advice.

I've a circuit that has two output +80V DC and -80V DC it is possible to split every output?
For example with the +80V it's possible to have 2 x +40V and from the -80V have 2 x -40V?

Thanks and sorry for the, probably, stupid question.....

Andrea

jeppix said:
Hello to everybody

I need an help... probably it's a stupid question but I need some advice.

I've a circuit that has two output +80V DC and -80V DC it is possible to split every output?
For example with the +80V it's possible to have 2 x +40V and from the -80V have 2 x -40V?

Thanks and sorry for the, probably, stupid question.....

Andrea

yes, was a stupid thing to ask

But I have seen much more stupid things, than this,
from supposedly real clever Audio Electronics Engineers
So called EE jetset members - almost gurus, very educated.

we can say, if you are stupid in your plain asking,
you are in very, very good company

hehe, hehe :D hehe :D
:clown: haha, haha :D

Better buy two transforners.
They are not very expensive.
Not the smaller ones.

Then you can get yourself any voltage.
2 x 40 + 2 x 40
.. and whatever else, my friend.

Sometimes, using tricks to get a lower component number,
is very stupid. Even for DIY Audio. Even for KISS = Keep it simple stupid.

Few parts. Low cost.
Sometimes will complicate things so much and make your cicruits perfom bad.
And this is not what you want .. is it;)

Hi,
a resistor divider with multiple taps will give multiple output voltages.
But, if the current from any of the taps changes the voltages on all the other taps will also change.

A multiple secondary transformer would achieve most of what you require, but sourcing it will not be easy nor cheap.
A home re-wind of a toroid with multiple secondaries is very possible at little cost.

power supply

please Mr,
Though it might make little impact but would assist basing on your knowlege in electronics.
just wind a centre tapped transformer[-80v_0_+80v] or get 160vdc then get 2resistors [equal values] connect them in series across the 160vdc. at the centre of the resistors connect it to 0v at the top from centre you have +80v and bottom -80vdc.
please use reasonable power value reasistors.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But the load current will also go through the resistors. If you have a load connected to the 0V point, the current through the load has to go back to the transformer end via the resistors. That will cause a drop of voltage across the resistor of load current * resistor value. This will unbalance the setup, and at one end your voltage will greatly rise above the 80V and at the other side it will collapse toward zero.

This will ONLY work if you have very small load currents and very low resistor values. Not for audio amps.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.