Foamies - as a platter mat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a search and found nothing.
So,.. I ask,...

Craft store foamies - 2mm thick
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I recently purchased the new Rega P3-24, after retiring my 30year old technics table.
The Rega came with the felt mat. The felt mat was not overly impressive, and, was actually center punched off center, so it had this ghetto wobble thing going on.

I tried my technics mat, and a cork mat, and they were too thick, and would technically require raising the arm.
I don't want to spend a bunch of buck$ on fancy promise mats, so,...
I raided my wifes craft box for a sheet of craft foam - "foamies"
I took the platter off and traced it, and cut a mat. I accurately center puched it, and it seems like a decent mat.
This stuff impresses whatever touches it. So I thought it would be good at taking errant dust or debris from albums, and would hold it, rather than to damage the grooves.
I have a VPI based vacu-cleaner system, but still, dust gets onto the albums, so,...

thoughts?

thanks for the reply.

So far, they seem to be working out OK.
They have a tendency to lift off with the record, when I remove the record; either due to static, or, surface tension, or both. The slightest misting with distilled water to the backside of the foamie has remedied that in the short term.
So, thanks for the double sided tape notion,... that might just solve the lift up issue - that is the only real dogger so far.

I tell you, you could probably playback the foam mat immediately after removing the record, as it will have impressed the grooves into the foam (temporarily - the stuff has memory, and will flatten back out).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.