Speaker mounting question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I recently got hold of a vintage guitar speaker cab without a loudspeaker in it. Yesterday wanted to mount a speaker but it appeared that a 12-inch speaker cannot be mounted from the inside of the cabinet due to internal bracing: internal clearance is half an inch short.

So, the only possibility is to mount the speaker from the outside. But here I feel rather lost since I have neither done it nor even seen it done. Also, the speaker to be mounted has a gasket on the front, not on the back of the rim.

Could you please help me to sort out the following issues:

1) is it normal to mount a speaker into a cab from outside?

2) does it make a difference sound- or otherwise if compared to the "inside mounted" speaker?

3) are there some special speakers to be "outside mounted", or any speaker can be mounted both ways? If the latter is the case, then I assume that a gasket is still necessary even though there is none on the speaker if "outside mounted"?

I apologize if this has been discussed. I searched the archives without success, could be because of wrong keywords.

Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Self adhesive foam weatherstripping makes a great gasket.

Attachments

• im001085.jpg
    im001085.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 149
The best way to mount a speaker is from the outside, but recessed so that the front of the speaker is flush with the baffle. This is harder to do than just mounting on the baffle, but works a bit better at higher frequencies. For a musicfal instrument speaker this does not matter though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.