Horn mouth venting to the floor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
How could we calculate-model-simulate a BLH, where the mouth is located (opened) to the floor??
I know in this situation the floor and the side wall and back wall, these junctions become part of the mouth, but I don't know how big is this influence for the "classic" way calculated horn lenght and size.
How could I calculate such a horn with MJK's program?

Greets:

Tyimo

Remember though, if it is firing straight at the floor, you will run in to reflected waves running back up the horn. NOT GOOD. This will cause smear and cancellation like you have never thought possible. Firing at the floor seems like it won't be a good idea, period. Why would you want to fire at the floor anyway? Just curious.

Tom

Check Bruce Edgars Seismic Horn sub at 6moons.com: 6moons

edgar6.jpg

Remember though, if it is firing straight at the floor, you will run in to reflected waves running back up the horn. NOT GOOD. This will cause smear and cancellation like you have never thought possible. Firing at the floor seems like it won't be a good idea, period. Why would you want to fire at the floor anyway? Just curious.

Tom!
Yes, theoretically you "could" have true, but in the reality it works very well! Listen to the Impulse loudspeakers!

Ron has true: with (and without!) the internal deflector in place its not firing at the floor but produces a 360 degree radiation pattern. You could imagine like the hornmouth is located near the floor and opened along the 4 sides of the cabinet.

I wouldn't like to open a discourse about why is it good or not, rather I would like to concentrate for the calculating-modeling solutions. :)

Tyimo

Attachments

• impulse.jpg
    impulse.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 286
The bottom-firing horn, a technique elegantly deployed by among others Dr. Bruce Edgar in his "Monolith Horn". This is potentially a very effective approach, in that it wraps the mouth around two or more sides of the cabinet. For the bottom-firing horn, we can easily obtain a very large mouth opening by wrapping the mouth around four sides (both sides and front and rear), and mounting the horn on stands of appropriate height. We'd need stands of just enough cm height to obtain the same mouth area.

Greets:

Tyimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.