• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Values for OTL totem pole (cathode followers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've this bunch of PCF80 (same as ECF80, 6BL8) laying around and I know some little things can be done with them. Up till now, I gathered some schematics and spent some time understanding them (back to paper since I can't figure how to use tubes models with LTspice). Still, I've been wondering if a smallish headphones amp couldn't be done with those tubes. With two tubes, I can get a triode for gain, a triode as phase splitter. Up till there, I can understand how it works (very basic understanding...).

A long introduction to just say I'm stuck understanding how much power I could get from the pentodes of the pcf80, triode strapped and used push-pull, into 300 ohms. I see that at 120VDC, I won't destroy the tubes if I ask for 14mA. But can I get those 14mA or not ? I've also a hard time understanding how much voltage swing I can get at the output.

I would really be grateful if someone could point me towards references on this (I found a lot of things on tubecad.com but it goes a bit quickly over the "obvious" things a newbie like me is still missing).

Thanks a lot,

Ben.

(Otherwise, i could of course parallel a bunch of triodes as SE cathode followers with the pentodes as sink).

Ok, the PCF80 pentode once triode strapped looks a bit like an ECC81. So, I could do some sims and the schematic below seems to work.

I've just one question: how to properly set C4 and C5 ? Values around 10µF seem ok in sims but I don't trust LTspice too much.

Attachments

• pcf80.png
    pcf80.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.