About a Nelson Pass phase coherent crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I did found a nice active crossover plan in the document; Phase coherent crossover networks, by Nelson Pass, and it's 2 khz center frequency are righ for me.

I would use the 18 bd / octave schematic.

Is it a butterworth or a bessel type ?

Anybody did a simulation of the summed phase and square wave output on that circuit ?

Thank

Gaetan

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I should point out that 1 Megohm resistors in the voltage
divider are unrealistically high values for op amps.

Also, it's a lot easier to realize these with ordinary Sallen-Key
filters than with cascaded values of passive components. Just
build the desired filter and use a differential amplifier comparing
the input and output, scaling for gain differences in the pass band.

:cool:

Yep. a fullrange top with a helper woofer is a great application for most of these sorts of phase-coherent electronic crossovers, since you are likely to cross pretty low, time alignment tends to be a non-issue, and biamping makes matching different driver sensitivities a breeze.

coax may need time alignment, or it may not. depends on the actual application and crossover point.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have used phase coherent, 1st order PLLXOs with many/mpst of out WAW. Driver C-C under quarter wavelength and the phase coherence of the XO means that little to none of what a good FR does gets lost. I will be getting a B4 kit when they come and will wire it up as 1st order, meaning i know longer have to worry about amp input impedances.

dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Written a long time ago, the piece should have identified the distinction
between "phase perfect" and "phase coherent".

My bad.

The circuits in the article are phase perfect in that they sum to form
a perfect replica of the original amplitude and phase, so they do a
perfect square wave.

Phase coherent means that there is a constant phase difference
between the two outputs.

You can make a phase perfect crossover which is not phase coherent.

You can make a phase coherent crossover which is not phase perfect.

:spin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.