• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AV5 g2 driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I spent few days reading older posts and I liked it very much!

My question in particular is about Tubelab (George)'s 6AV5 push-pull amp, capable of about 80W. The problem is that I don't like solid state stuff (when it fails, quite too often for my tastes, it usually becomes a nice short circuit, destroying the 6AV5), so I was thinking to use a 6BX7 (this tube can handle easily 500V) for the driver/cathode follower. Is it feasible?

I have no problems working with B+ voltages in excess of 600V, but I have no idea about the values of the components to have the driver and the output stage working right, please could you help me? Also, could a section of the 6BX7 handle more than a single 6AV5? (maybe a pair if I want to build a more powerful amp). There is no problem if more than 2 or 3 voltages are needed from the power supply, I can have power transformers wound to my specs for very little money!

Is the plate to plate load about 6,6K or more is needed? Just to find a suitable output transformer in my stash to try the circuit

Sorry for the long post!

Best Regards

Giulio Maiocco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.