half bridge SMPS secondary voltage drop problem ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everyone,

Let me explain my project:

230Vac----->+/- 40 VDC
350-400W

230V AC mains---->320VDC rectified
2*660uF/200V capacitors
Half bridge SMPS topology
SG3525 oscillator and modulator (fosc=200kHz;fsw=100kHz)
Rdeadtime is 50 ohms.
Rt=6,8k
Ct=1nF
12V auxiliary power supply
No feedback
ETD39 core
Bmax=100mT
N1=32 turns
N2=16 turns center tap
capacitor 1uF in serie with primary connected to +160V (middle point of capacitors)
2*IRF840 driven by gate transformer (3C90 core 13.5mmOD, 12:12:12)
gate transformer driven by transistors mounted in push pull topology (2N3906 and 2N4401)

My problem is:

With no load, voltage accross secondary windings (8 turns) is about 42V peak peak so no problem...

With a 10 ohms load between + and - (rectified), voltage drops to +/- 30V
i think it's a bit much than could be expected ?

and rectified voltage accross primary capacitors drops from 320VDC to 300VDC...

here are some pics...

voltage accross one secondary winding (8 turns) unloaded...

Attachments

• img_0235.gif
    img_0235.gif
    93.7 KB · Views: 203
Hi,

Looks pretty normal to me, especially if your no-load condition is truly and completely no-load, without even a bleeding resistor: the switching spikes can raise the output voltage several volts.
And in no-load condition, you have a nice, full square wave due to the magnetizing inductance, but with the load, the magnetizing current is insufficient to drive the load and dead time becomes apparent; maybe your diodes are a bit slow too, but it's difficult to tell.
I'd add a turn or two to the secondary, plus a small bleeding resistor to keep the no-load voltage at reasonnable values.
You could also measure the leakage inductance of your transformer (seen from the primary) and adjust the 1µ cap to make it resonate at the switching frequency; this would somewhat improve the "stiffness" of the supply.
LV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.