single Diode power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using a single diode supply for my phono preamp. Works fine without issues. Because the supply is only charged half as often as a bridge rectifier it will charge more strongly and hence have bigger charging spikes. Expect to need slightly more capacitance in your power supply. I snubber my diode with a small cap.

Shoog

No special reason, it was just the transformer I had. Valve transformers are not easy to get hold of where I am so I have to use what comes to hand.
I will replace it as soon as I can, because it physically hums more than the circuit at the moment - which is no good at all.
Shoog

I wouldn't disregard the single diode option if thats the transformer you have got. Mine physically hums because its an old poor design - not because of the single winding as such. My transformer is quiet without the case lid on, but when the lid goes on then the hum starts. It seems to be an effect of the transformer magnetically pushing and pulling the lid of the case, turning it into a large diaphram.
Sonically I would guess that, with the correct power supply, there shouldn't be anything between a single diode and a bridge.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.