HV Diode Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting together a power supply that needs to give about 24mA at about 210V. I happen to have around a 125-0-125 transformer and an EZ81, so I thought I'd use these in conjunction with 2 silicon diodes to make a bridge rectifier. Does anyone have any suggestion of what to look for in terms of diodes to use. Digikey lists lots of D0-41 package ultra-fast diodes that are well over 800V. Does the choice matter beyond this? Any concerns with heat from this package? Anything else to concern myself with with a hybrid bridge?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used UF4007 for quite a few years and never had one fail..
Given the rating of the EZ81 this or the 1N4007 ought to be good enough..

The soft turn off/fast recovery characteristic of the tube rectifier imho makes the use of fast silicon diodes unnecessary.

I'd say use whatever you can get at a reasonable cost with a PIV rating of at least 800V to allow for line transients.

I'm not convinced that I have ever heard a real difference between comparable diodes fast or otherwise. In terms of RF noise it definitely does make a difference that can be measured. RC snubbers incidentally can take care of this too, and are good practice for high voltage rectifier stacks regardless of diode type used...

Edits: still learning to spell I guess.. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.