Laptop 90W-120W?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Laptops include an internal power supply that charges the battery and derives all the small voltages. External mains adaptors usually provide between 12V and 20V to that internal supply.

Some time ago I had to build a converter powered from 12V for a friend that wanted to charge and use his laptop in his car. The mains adaptor that came with that computer was rated at 20V 4.5A.

Power Integrations has evaluation boards for this very application- maybe a bit underpowered. They use TOPSwitch GX which is an integrated FET with control circuitry all on the same IC for flyback or forward topologies. This may be a good starting point.

They have full schematics and PCB artwork, as well as transformer design and other parts lists.

Here are some links:

www.powerint.com/PDFFiles/epr11.pdf
www.powerint.com/appcircuits.htm#epr31

I thank all of you for the replies. Maybe I'll consider buying a new psu..60 euro seems too much but I have no choice if wanna use my laptop because psu rated 60W(3.9A) isn't enough. The machine just drops dead when I try playing a game or something more demanding of CPU power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.