Lm317

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know whether the LM317 has that feature, but its major cousin the LM338 just folds back as the current limit is reduced to almost zero when it's exposed to more than 37V. I've had several LM338 exposed to up to 56V without damage, they only enter some kind of latched-off state and power has to be removed in order for them to work again.

As far as I know, the datasheet doesn't mention this behaviour at all. Also, damage would probably happen as soon as the voltage across the shutted-down regulator exceeds the Vce rating of any of its internal transistors (that is likely to be between 60V and 100V), so this undocumented feature should be used with care.

Eva said:
I don't know whether the LM317 has that feature, but its major cousin the LM338 just folds back as the current limit is reduced to almost zero when it's exposed to more than 37V. I've had several LM338 exposed to up to 56V without damage, they only enter some kind of latched-off state and power has to be removed in order for them to work again.

As far as I know, the datasheet doesn't mention this behaviour at all. Also, damage would probably happen as soon as the voltage across the shutted-down regulator exceeds the Vce rating of any of its internal transistors (that is likely to be between 60V and 100V), so this undocumented feature should be used with care.

Indeed, and upon power up when the caps on the output of the device are short for a brief time, the full supply voltage can appear across the regulator. It might not like that very much.

Eva said:
Also, damage would probably happen as soon as the voltage across the shutted-down regulator exceeds the Vce rating of any of its internal transistors (that is likely to be between 60V and 100V), so this undocumented feature should be used with care.
In normal use it will work but to really protect it I'll guess you must add more parts.

carawu said:

While that's good information, it's actually bad for this case. If the max input is 60V you can just buy an LM317HV and it is rated to withstand a dead short. Doesn't make sense to build those big circuits for a 60V input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.