What is the problem with the K6 SMPS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don`t understand what the problem is with that supply (the other thread was closed). I think all SMPS supplies are directly connected to AC mains. SO what is the difference? When you look at the schematics of that supply, you can see that the mains carrying part is completely decoupled from the lower voltage parts by using transformers. This is the same as in any comventional supply as well. What is wrong with that?

Gertjan

Thank you fro backing me on this. I was really surprised that my thread was shut down especially when there are other threads allot more dangerous. For example I noted a thread a while back discussing how to run an amp directly off the mains (no galvanic isolation), now that’s dangerous, that thread was never closed down. The “PFC Switched-Mode Power Supply” was not shut down eider and that’s 400V right off the mains.

All amps have the mains driving some type of transformer; the only additional element is the switching mosfets. The only extra elements of danger here, is that if you wire them wrong they may crack, sending little shards of plastic flying. This is why it’s always a good idea to shield your self from such flying particles. Ofcourse I’m lying when I say this is a new danger, the same thing could happen with any “normal” amp if you wire the bridge rectifiers the wrong way for example or the output devices.

I don’t have any experience with smps, this is true. I have built some tesla coils in my day. The biggest spark have drawn was 12” long, in air. Yes that’s a lot of volts. So dealing with electricity is not exactly a new thing for me.

I think it’s probably a political thing or maybe someone doesn’t like me.

LBHajdu said:
Thank you fro backing me on this. I was really surprised that my thread was shut down especially when there are other threads allot more dangerous. For example I noted a thread a while back discussing how to run an amp directly off the mains (no galvanic isolation), now that’s dangerous, that thread was never closed down. The “PFC Switched-Mode Power Supply�Ewas not shut down eider and that’s 400V right off the mains.

All amps have the mains driving some type of transformer; the only additional element is the switching mosfets. The only extra elements of danger here, is that if you wire them wrong they may crack, sending little shards of plastic flying. This is why it’s always a good idea to shield your self from such flying particles. Ofcourse I’m lying when I say this is a new danger, the same thing could happen with any “normal�Eamp if you wire the bridge rectifiers the wrong way for example or the output devices.

I don’t have any experience with smps, this is true. I have built some tesla coils in my day. The biggest spark have drawn was 12�Elong, in air. Yes that’s a lot of volts. So dealing with electricity is not exactly a new thing for me.

I think it’s probably a political thing or maybe someone doesn’t like me.

It is probably the subject title that looks dangerous. I don`t think there is any safety issue as long as you stay away from the high voltage parts. The same would be for example for softstart circuits that are also directly connected to the mains. The fuse holder in between mains and transformer, the power switch etc. So I don`t see what is different from any other supply.

I have ordered two of those supplies and plan to use them. Of course I will take care with testing as you should with any power supply.

Gertjan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.