Improving the capacitance multiplier

In my continuing quest to do things slightly differently to everyone else, I've come up with some ideas to improve on the capacitance multiplier. I'm developing it to use with the horn subwoofer I'm planning, which being very efficient will want the lowest possible ripple to keep hum down. I've rejected the idea of a normal voltage regulator on the grounds that they are boring.

The improvements were inspired by R.G's thread on amp output protection where he mentioned using P-channel MOSFETs on the positive rail as switches. This made me realize that the same idea could be applied to a capacitance multiplier to lower the dropout voltage (NPN BJTs need a couple of volts; N-channel MOSFETs need even more), further improving what is already one of the main benefits of capacitance multipliers.

The extra drive circuitry necessary to accomplish this also has the benefit of increasing the effective multiplier due to high input impedance. This allows the use of a smaller 'base' capacitor (what was the base capactor anyway - it's not connected to a base now); small enough to make a film cap possible here. Base capacitors can of course still be large for ridiculously low ripple, but it will then take quite a while for the output to ramp up to full potential.

Using low on-resistance MOSFETs, such as IRF5305/IRLZ34N, dropout voltage can be really very low. As low as 0.1V is possible, but more is needed if very high currents are required. This means vanishingly small power disipation, which is nice.

With appropriate component choice this circuit should be able to provide tens of amps with only mV of ripple and very relaxed heatsink requirements. Regulation is not good, but that's because it's not a regulator. It's a bit more complicated than the standard design, but still has a reasonable component count.

I notice the P channels are in your schematic in the usual negative rail, rather than trying them in the positive as is alluded to by the work R.G's thread mentions - ... would be nice to have a link to that thread.