1 transformer to lcaudio psu design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have looked a lot of places and couldent find anything.. all designs was with 2 transformers...
what is the best way to do a 2channel zap with one transformer

i have this and nothing is going to change

one 2*42v 800va transformer from www.elfa.se
8 schotky diodes.. 4 pr channel right???
2 220000 caps 100v.. 1 pr channel..

some uses resistors and smal caps in the design..
i can understand how the ground is made with 2 transformers but not with only one...

hope someone can help me :)

Hi,
connect the two secondary windings in series to give 80Vac out.
Connect a 4 diode bride across the 80V and connect a second 4 diode bridge across the same 80V connections. i.e. both bridges in parallel. The spare two wire connection is the power ground.
Now treat each bridge as a completely separate feed to the ZAP. What is a zap?
Connect all the first caps commons with one power ground wire to the star earth and then connect the second caps commons with separate power ground wire to the star earth. Do not make a direct connection from safety earth to power gound nor to star earth. If your transformer has a screen then connect this with a small gauge wire to star earth. If you have an EI or similar transformer connect the frame to chassis or to safety earth. Connect star earth via a low resistor (10R) to safety earth. You can parallel this with a small ceramic cap (RF to earth) and with a hi current bridge rectifier to safety earth. These prevent a hum loop being set up.
does this make sense?
And finally remember to connect your input connectors to the clean ground on your PCB not to any other ground or earth connection.
regards Andrew T.

Hi wuffer,
I have not yet learned how to attach drawings and other bits to my posts.
I will try to find a thread with a suitable sketch.
Safety ground is where the chassis and the mains input wiring connect.
Power ground is where your main smoothing caps connect to a commom and then to centre tap of transformer secondary.
Star ground (earth) is where all the clean returns (grounds, earths) and dirty grounds connect together. DO NOT commom any decoupling and clean grounds before reaching the star ground.
Many others do it differently, see Leach for an alternative but similar or D. Self or JLHood.
regards Andrew T.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
connect the two secondary windings in series to give 80Vac out.
Connect a 4 diode bride across the 80V and connect a second 4 diode bridge across the same 80V connections. i.e. both bridges in parallel. The spare two wire connection is the power ground.
Now treat each bridge as a completely separate feed to the ZAP. What is a zap?
Connect all the first caps commons with one power ground wire to the star earth and then connect the second caps commons with separate power ground wire to the star earth. Do not make a direct connection from safety earth to power gound nor to star earth. If your transformer has a screen then connect this with a small gauge wire to star earth. If you have an EI or similar transformer connect the frame to chassis or to safety earth. Connect star earth via a low resistor (10R) to safety earth. You can parallel this with a small ceramic cap (RF to earth) and with a hi current bridge rectifier to safety earth. These prevent a hum loop being set up.
does this make sense?
And finally remember to connect your input connectors to the clean ground on your PCB not to any other ground or earth connection.
regards Andrew T.

SOunds kind of complicated to me.

2 * 42V AC is perfect for Zappulse, it will give you about +/- 57VDC on the supply rails. 80VAc will kill your Zap modules.

read this for the rest: http://www.zero-distortion.com/start.htm if you don't want to read it all...just build the design on the last page.

Yes, you're right I misread :xeye: , anyway the final design on the 0D page seems better if he already has 2 bridges.

(How much better is discussed somewhere else, as you know. I might or might not respond to your last post. At least you forced me to think instead of just assumning that what you read is right)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.