Borbely PS has 5 uV noise and ripple - little or much?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am looking for a good regulated power supply (+-24 V) for a buffer. Borbely's designs seems to have a good reputation. One of his power supplies is shown below.
Is can support 200 mA so it is a bit oversized but that is to my liking :)

The spec says it has 5 uV ripple and noise over the audio bandwidth.

Is that much or little for a regulated PS?

How does one measure such low voltages?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sigurd

Hi,
noise and ripple is approaching -130db.
That is good, maybe very good, some might even say excellent.
An alternative would be Jung. There is a thread here with all the construction details and it has similar performance. I would guess both have quite fast response.
regards Andrew T.

Sigurd Ruschkow said:
Hi all,

I am looking for a good regulated power supply (+-24 V) for a buffer. Borbely's designs seems to have a good reputation. One of his power supplies is shown below.

Sigurd
Hi Sigurd,
But how does it sound? :wave2:
Or do you believe low noise automatically implies good sound?:darkside:

How does it sound ???

I do have a Borbely DAC , preamp, phonoamp and monoamps.
To me they do sound good with the standard components Borbely is offering. PS can be improved with Blackgate caps. But very much is depending on the trafos you want to use.
I had Pass Aleph before. Borbely to me is by far better.
Just my opinion.

Best emw

emw -

the PS I am looking at is the PS (EB-202/254 ALL-FET DUAL REGULATOR for 2 x +-24 VDC) from the phono preamp.
It is a bit more powerful than the 263 and the 265:s that I were looking at in the beginning. Slightly more expensive but a good PS is very important.

The unregulated PS that will feed the EB-202/254 I think will be the EB-1198/309 dual unregulated PS. I likte that it has soft recovery diodes to rectify the AC voltage.

You mention the trafos. I plan to use separate toroidal trafos.
What trafos did you use?

Any particular capacitor that you changed into Black Gates (or maybe you changed them all)?

Regards,
Sigurd

Hi Sigurd,
on my phono preamp i have a Nicd accu powersupply.
On my balanced preamp I have 4 x 100Watt Borbely Audio trafos, with the boards you mentioned, but with additional chockes.
I would not build the phono again with the accu ps. For me it is too much effort, charging and watching it does not less than 21 VDC etc... The Borbely PS Kit is as good as a battery /Accu ps.
I would go for chocked Borbely PS, but with Blackgate caps after the final regulators (if you will get BG´s ?).
On the phono board I have used BG aswell in certain areas.
Please ask Borbely when you order the parts, he will let you know.

Best ...EMW

Attachments

• webp25.jpg
    webp25.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 790
AndrewT said:
Hi,
noise and ripple is approaching -130db.
That is good, maybe very good, some might even say excellent.
An alternative would be Jung. There is a thread here with all the construction details and it has similar performance. I would guess both have quite fast response.
regards Andrew T.

I seriously doubt it has 130db of PSRR. It doesn't have a current mirror and current source for the differential for starters. The RC filter after the voltage source feeding the jfet diff is a nice touch though.

I think it is extremely difficult to get 100db + PSRR in a discrete design and get low output impedance. Then HF performance is likely to be alot worse.

Not commenting on it's sound though.

Kevinbd said:
I seriously doubt it has 130db of PSRR. It doesn't have a current mirror and current source for the differential for starters.

*ROFLMAO*

I seriously doubt that you have read the thread properly!

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

We are talking PSU

Where do you find PowerSupplyRejectionRatio in a PSU???

There are current sources in the legs of the diff amp.

Uli

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I bought the power supply kit, and have now assembled it.

Assembly was a piece of cake. All the small bags with components really made it foolproof to mount all the components.

Setting it to the desired voltage was simple, and the voltage is very stable.

Components are of very high standard!
I was positively surprised :)
Dale resistors,
cermet potentiometers,
Cerafine Fine Gold electrolytics,
Mundorf film caps,
Wima polyprop caps,
JFETs and MOSFETs.

If you are looking for a good regulated PS with good components, I recommend you to check it out.

Sigurd

Here are some photos I shot of the regulated power supply and the recifying supply kits.

F1010016.JPG

F1010017.JPG

F1010009.JPG

F1010011.JPG

F1010014.JPG

F1010013.JPG

Sigge

Sigurd Ruschkow said:
Hi all,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sigurd

Re: Re: Borbely PS has 5 uV noise and ripple - little or much?

Elso -
at last, I now have the 254 together with a Borblly Superbuffer1 and an unregulted PS 309 also from Borbely.
Here are some sonical impressions I have. I compared the Superbuffer1/254/309 with a TX102 transformer volume attenuator.

I use the Superbuffer1 with Teflon PCB and Caddock high resolution MK132 resistors for the input, output, and feedback resistors. I also opted for the high output current option that is supposed to give better bass (and the SB1 can now also drive 600 Ohms, which I do not need). Instead of the voltage references, I have installed blue LEDs.

Transformers are 225 VA toroids from Amplimo that are potted, and shielded against both magnetic and electric fields.

The Borbely preamp is built up like dual mono from the AC outlet and onwards.
A mains net filter from Schaffner is also used for each channel.
For the stepped attenuator I use DALE's CMF55 non metallic resistors.

Silver wire is used for signal wires.
Standard gold plated chassie RCA connectors.

To summarize
==========
Both me and my wife find that Borbely's Superbuffer1 sounds better than the S&B TX102 transformers. More detail, more slam, another octave of deep firm bass, and better focus and clarity on voices.

Sound comparisons
==============
Both these preamps are of very high quality both regarding component choice, mechanical properties, and sonically. No doubt about that! Still, it was not that hard to hear that they did not sound the alike.

I built the TX102 preamp some months ago. The sonic character I hear is a smooth, bass-rich sound with great sound stage, a polished treble that is never hard or cold, and a body for each individual instrument (on good recordings) that can be very appealing. Details are OK. Transients could be better.

The preamp made up out of Borbelyäs designs has been online since a month and the SB1 is now fully burned-in. It sonic character is one full of details, resolution is higher than I ever had heard before, each instrument is clearly heard through a mass of instruments with a very good focus and body. The body I heard on the TX102 preamp is more muddy in comparison. Voices are better as they are easier to hear, more realesed, with better clarity. Soundstage is great with wonderful depth. Transients scaringly fast. Slam is fantastic. Bass is firm, powerful and deep. I did not know that my speaker could deiiver such a deep bass.

Sigurd

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Sigurd,
But how does it sound? :wave2:
Or do you believe low noise automatically implies good sound?:darkside:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.