Turntable strobe 120/240V power supply

This is a query about the strobe for the Thorens TD125 turntable. This can be used without modification in both 120 and 240V regions save for changes to wiring on the mains board/transformer. The strobe has a built-in 47k series resistor. The transformer (dual primary/secondary) is the same in both voltage regions.

Since the series resistor is not changed the strobe will need a 240V supply. How is this achieved in a 120V region? The schematic seems to show 120V connected across one of the primary windings and the strobe connected across both windings to get 240V, ie a step-up arrangement. Is this a recognised way of using the primary coils? I can't find any other instance of this kind of use on the web.

Attachments

• TD125-II_schematic.png
    TD125-II_schematic.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 98
If you look at the circuit you will see that the neon circuit is connected across the 220V winding of the multi-tapped transformer input. When the fuse is placed for connection to 117V input the neon circuit still gets 220V.

Oh yeah couldn't see that with that small picture ! :) well spotted that man

The resistor will still be fed 240 (autotransformer style) from the 120 winding when you move the fuse.

I rebuilt my TD-125 about 10 years ago, bought new in 1975. The strobe had nerer worked right ( It flickered).
I am on 120V. The power supply voltage were correct but I was only getting 120V out of the transformer before the 47K resistor to the neon lamp. Bad transformer from the factory. After I replaced it the strobe worked fine. I guess that they sent the turntables with a bad primary for 240V to the 120V market, or I was just unlucky.