21st century Maida regulator

Take a L2 series mosfet if you plan on cooking the fet.

The transzorb normally drawn over the LM317 is no luxury, and a TL783 will drop in if you want something that has a few dB more hum supression.

You can also do the same thing with a tube as pass device, but in most cases your gonna need the LM317AHVT or TL783 cause the grid to cathode voltage is too large for the plain 317.

The adjust pin capacitor appearantly is required to maintain stability.

Cheers,

V4LVE

A few years ago I designed PCBs and built a set of these regulators, using the schematic posted on the original thread and careful study of pictures of the commercial board. It was my first effort with KiCad. You might, at first glance, mistake them for the real thing. They seem to work well, but priorities changed and I never ended up putting them in an actual circuit. I built four, two for 400V and two for 300V.

In principle, this regulator should be great for all kinds of circuits, including low-noise preamps.

In his original thread, which started on the non-commercial part of this site, Mr. Christiansen's claimed ownership of this design. Rubbed me the wrong way, TBH, to promote a commercial product in the community forums, and to take credit for someone else's innovation. It's nice work, but a straightforward application of the concept from the original application note, and certainly not his property. I think it should work well for you, if you can get over the ambitious price. Or build your own; it's not hard.

Due to a mistake by OSH Park (left the silkscreen off the first batch), I have eight boards left over, plus my prototypes, whatever that means.

Attachments

• Maida1.jpg
    Maida1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Top.PNG
    Top.PNG
    87.7 KB · Views: 206