Battery Pack / Unit testing help

Hi guys. A friend gave me this JBL Charge 2+ that stopped taking a charge. When plugged in, the charging lights do not come on at all. The mini-usb charging port doesn't appear to be loose, corroded, or otherwise damaged from what I can tell. I've taken it apart and removed the battery. It's a 3.7v lithium poly pack. It has 2 black, 2 red, and 1 white wire going to the connector. I tried using my multi-meter to test across different wires, but got no results. However, since a new battery pack is around $25, so I was hoping to do some more testing before spending any money.

It occurs to me that even if the battery pack was toast, the charging lights would probably do something when the charger is attached. The fact that they don't leads me to think that perhaps it's the circuit board that has malfunctioned. Or perhaps it IS the battery pack, and the protection circuit in the battery is preventing power from reaching the unit?

I've built a number of custom bluetooth speakers, but am still lacking in a lot of knowledge. Do you guys have any suggestions of things I can test? I have a number of lithium ion 18650 batteries around, and probably still have some charging/protection circuits. I was thinking I could put together a temporary battery to test with, but am unsure about the 5 aforementioned wires on the original battery, and don't want to destroy it by cutting it apart for inspection. Any advice you can offer would be apricated.

Model: JBL Charge2+ (Looks like says M9, but the text is worn)
Battery:
Model P763098
22.2Wh Lithium Polymer
3.7v
6000mAh

Thank you for your time,
Jack

Plug it into the charger, check the voltages on the PCB.
That will tell you whether the PCB or battery is faulty.
The packs are sometimes having an IC like the TP4056 to handle the charging, the extra leads are for those.
Usually the pack is batteries / cells in a frame, connected to a circuit that goes to the terminals.
Cover is paper or plastic.
Carefully cut with a sharp knife, going only paper deep, and then you can reach the actual batteries to inspect.

On closer inspection it appears the micro-usb port IS damaged. I'm not getting any voltage when plugged in. I'm unable to find the PCB itself, so I've ordered the micro-sub port only.

It looks like a fairly delicate operation. I can see the 4 solder points that hold it to the PCB and those shouldn't be a problem. It's the 5 tiny pins (the ones that correspond to the individual USB wires) that i'm unsure about. Are those just friction fit? I mean, are there some leads on the bottom of the connector that rub up against the PCB leads when the piece is soldered in place? Or, do I actually need to solder those 5 pins after mounting it somehow? If it's the later, that just seems impossible to me. They are so close together! I've attached a picture for better clarity.

microusb.jpg

I expect them to be soldered.
If too small for you (definitely too small for me :( ) maybe a guy who repairs cellphones for a living can replace it for you.
They are everywhere and do this all the time.

Not only soldering, desoldering all 4 mounting pins at the same time on a double sided PCB *is* tricky without proper tools and experience.