Bucking transformer and power switching

I'm getting ready to build a bucking transformer / amp power switching box. So basically power cord-->fuse-->switch-->6.3V bucking transformer (6A)-->power outlets. There will be 2 outlets at full wall voltage and 2 with approx. 6.3V subtracted. Tube amps (with vintage power transformers) into the bucked voltage outlets, and a solid state bass amp into the wall voltage outlet. The switch will switch all 4 outlets.

My question, is it preferable to switch both hot and neutral or just hot? Location is U.S., (120V AC), most electronic equipment switches hot only, but this is not exactly the same, as the switched power exits the unit.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
US 110VAC wiring is conventionally switched single-pole. It will cost more to find a DP switch rated for arbitrary wall power.

I assume you are going to "use" the amplifiers. If you plan to work on them, a DP switch might be better, but pulling the plug is always best.

Never ever assume you know which is which in US wiring. You can be wrong 60% of the time. It is quite possible to use electricity without knowing white from black.

Thanks for replying, PRR. Yes, this is switching for amps in use only, not work. I dug into my parts stash and came up with a double-pole, triple-throw switch (on-off-on), and that's what got me thinking I might want to switch both hot and neutral. I just didn't know if there were any down sides I haven't thought of. I've used a plug in 3 prong outlet tester on the outlets here, all correct. The two 'on' throws of the switch will be useful to select whether the bass amp is powered or not, main amps will be on either way.

I'm not sure if this is a real validation. I know of those US plugs with two vertical blades that can be plugged into the wall outlet by two ways, just like the German Schuko plugs. So, how does one know if the switch interrupts the hot conductor?

I always prefer double pole power switches in my builds.

Best regards!

The amps I will be using with this will all have either 3 prong power cords, or vintage 2 prong non-polarized with a power transformer and no connections to chassis on the primary side. So it will be as safe as plugging into a power strip. I agree though that switching both sides would be better.