USB PD - Power delivery

As todays consumer electronics has growing number of USB type-C Power Delivery support, and chargers are also available, I am considring this as an option, at least for headphone amplifier use.

Because I have little experience in this topic, I would like to ask You, what do You think about this, and whether having PD power supply for DIY audio projects does have any benefits or drownbacks.

According to TIs website, there are ICs available with support of 20V 5A, as PD supports 100W delivery. One problem could be using the QFN packages.

It would be possible to make a modern universal PSU for low demand projects, with little space needed.

My work setup has evolved to use one cable.
I can charge my laptop, and have external monitor the same time. If I need to charge my phone, I plug in the same cable. Then it would be obvious, to plug in a headphone amplifier for example when I need it.

Does anybody have experience with PD? Opinions are highly welcome as well. :)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A 240W (on one port!) USB was announced last week.

240W USB - Google Search
USB-C 2.1, 48V/5A

Some years ago I heard tell of a standard for 48V/96VDC as a household outlet. When we go totally in-house solar/wind via batteries. I think inverter technology/price leapfrogged this so 115VAC/230VAC may remain the standard appliance/lights/toys power.

Last edited:
ST Microelectronics has some USB PD ICs that can be used without a µC. Check STUSB4500(L). Then there are a few Chinese IC manufacturers who sell standalone USB PD controllers, but these parts can only be found at places like LCSC and english datasheets are somewhat of a rarity. However, sometimes the application example and some tables with component values for preconfigured PD profiles are good enough. Most of them even give layout recommendations etc. so it really isn't that bad. I only remember INJOINIC and iSmartware, but there are more. From what I have seen, most of the powerbanks and powerbank modules you can buy from China are based on PD controllers from these manufacturers. There are some TI reference designs / evaluation boards and I even ordered one. But most of them seem too complex and expensive for what I was wanting to use it for. Then again, maybe I was just too dumb to find the right IC for my purpose...

About the idea:

I also thought about building a USB-C powered, low noise power supply capable of +/- 12V and +/- 500mA (based on STUSB4500 configured for 5V/3A over USB PD). I have a PCB design that should be working based on my experiments with breakout boards and evaluation boards, but I haven't ordered my design since some parts were/are out of stock.