Small dual voltage regulation help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Millett Hybrid headphone amp pcb I am wanting to put into a small case with a Raspberry Pi3+ (with HAT dac) and a 2.5" HDD. I've been trying to determine what would be the best way to power all of this off of one power supply as I want it to be a self contained unit for my office.

The amp requires 24V/0.75A and I currently am using the Pi/HAT/HDD with a 5V/2A wall wart.

I've used a Tangentsoft TREAD back in the day to regulate the voltage to a Millett with good success and I'm looking for something that is similar in size as I would like this to be as small a footprint as possible. So the HDD will go under the amp pcb and the Pi/DAC will be vertical along one of the chassis sides. leaving one end of the 6" x 9" box open (amp pcb is 4" x 6").

I was thinking a dc/dc wall wart 24V/3-5A into a small linear regulator to get the 24V to the amp and to a buck converter to the 5V to the Pi/HAT/HDD. I'm not much on power supplies that have two completely different voltages so I'm kinda lost here.

If you don't mind filtering output of a switcher supply to remove the howl, the obvious solution is a PCAT switcher supply. +5 @ 5-10 A, +-12 @ half an amp. I doubt if you are ever going to listen to the headphones at 18 W or even 9 W.
If there is a problem with the 24 not having same return as 5 v, put a capacitor between the output of one & the input of the other. 2.2 uf, up to 10 uf? film caps don't care about the polarity and are not that big these days in the 25 v rating.
PCAT supplies also known as ATX supplies, are sold in 1 year variety at computer repair shops, and 5 year variety at farnell. At least I've never blown the farnell one up. Typically $29 to $49. I have a stack of dead ones from the computer shop I pull parts out of. Diodes, rectifiers, nfets, NTCresistors, heat sink, IEC entry, anti surge inductors, MOS voltage supressor, never the e-caps.
Other obvious solution, wall transformers from abandoned products resold at the charity resale shop. Salvation Army near me gets $1-2 for these. The mating connectors can be bought at Parts-express or the old connector can be cut off. Making a 3.0 v supply out of a 3.8 vac wall transformer today, for a CD player. To replace one that was stolen, but not the CD player. Putting the rectifier+capacitor+voltage dropper in a margerine container.
Never see portable CD player chargers in stores, & farnell/parts-express only sell the 8 connector 10 voltage version, which might short out against some metal object. AC plug CD players all have gotten rubber control problems in 3-5 years. Or they have a remote that the buttons quit working on. This 1988 RCA player with hard contact buttons may live longer than me.

Last edited:
If you don't mind filtering output of a switcher supply to remove the howl, the obvious solution is a PCAT switcher supply. +5 @ 5-10 A, +-12 @ half an amp. I doubt if you are ever going to listen to the headphones at 18 W or even 9 W.

The amp is a tube amp. It needs a minimum of 500mA but works better at 750mA. It only outputs a fraction of a watt. Each tube needs at least 10V but I’ve found it sounded better at 11-12V.

Here’s the amp pcb in the enclosure for size reference.

Here’s the amp I built back in 2006 or so with the LM317 TREAD regulator and a overall shot with it on top of a DIY Meier Crossfeed.

Attachments

• D6F11219-6E0A-4F69-947B-E4B9CF7E40DC.jpg
    D6F11219-6E0A-4F69-947B-E4B9CF7E40DC.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 90
  • F4C1F55C-FD96-407C-A554-EB61BB32B2FC.jpeg
    F4C1F55C-FD96-407C-A554-EB61BB32B2FC.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 86
  • 42617FEC-4553-429E-85D6-B33773CFA98B.jpeg
    42617FEC-4553-429E-85D6-B33773CFA98B.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.