Thoughts on this PSU?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Exogal Comet PSU.jpg

What are your thoughts on this PSU? Good? Can it be improved upon as far as sound quality if I go to a linear PSU? It's a commercial unit for my DAC and I won't lie, I'm disappointed that it uses a switching PSU, albeit with 80,000uF of filter capacitance. I guess it's actually a is a hybrid supply, using the high frequency switching side to feed a linear regulator chip on the right side (that LT1764A). Can switching PSUs for low current apps like a DAC sound as good as linear PSU's?

A generic off the shelf switching power supply, feeding into a metric crap ton of capacitance before a linear regulator. No.

I don't see any earth connection on the IEC input either which isn't good, and who knows what potential the DC is floating at in relation to ground. Hard pass from me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.