PSU for Naim headphones amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was really impressed by "Naim Headline 2", a top quality British headphones amplifier and I found one of this at a reasonable price (less than 300 EUR).
But - because is always a "but" - this headphones amplifier request a separate 24V PSU, at a crazy price of 550-600 EUR.
So, what I'm thinking? Why do not use a 24V power source accumulator (or 2x12V)?
What do you think? Will work?

Are you sure the Naim power supply is just a single power output as it says it separates the digital section from the signal section ?

Looking at the NAPSC yes there is a single two pin socket at the back so maybe its simpler than my Cyrus PS

My Cyrus power supplies separate the CD motor drive and the other sections which are split into two boards , what I am saying if its anything like mine it will be a multi core cable plugging into the back of either a CD player or amplifier.

If you use storage batteries then they do need smoothing with capacitance if used for audio --those large batteries aren't dead silent.

Also take note of the very high current instantly available to melt your amp if a fault develops .

Naim gear is typically +24v dc nominal input for anything that accepts their add-on PSU. Most equipment reauires two such rails, but you can supply that from one or two +24- +28vDC regulators according to your taste; there is usually further local RC decoupling inside the Naim component. Yes, up to 28vDC will certainly not do any harm, in fact some prefer it that way (possible reasons for this idea likely need a separate discussion - but it is quite safe)

Yes, you can equal or better the Naim SNAps/Hicap/etc. on your own. If you'd like a wiring guide, I have a lot of historical data on my website at Just one thing about music - when it hits you feel no pain under Naim mods, and 'Naim PSU bible' if you scroll down a bit on the left-hand side.

There's certainly no magic involved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.