Help with PSU in McIntosh MX113

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have a McIntosh MX113 that has been sitting on my shelf for several years. It was not working when I bought it. The seller indicated that it had a PSU problem. Indeed it did. The main transistor was blown and several resisters were either burned or burned completely through (open). Attached is the schematic. I have replaced all the resistors that were burned or destroyed (R209, burned thru; R208, burned and changed value; R222, burned thru). I replaced the original transistor Q202 (originally 2N3738) with a TIP50. The zener, D207 was broken so I replaced it with a 1N5946B (originally 1N982B).

I have disconnected all loads, including the center channel driver (right side of the schematic). I'm getting the following voltages at Q202:

C - 182 (should be 96)
B - 72 (should be 76)
E - 56 (should be 75)

This uses 2 segmented can capacitors and I have not replaced those (yet).

This is obviously a simple PSU but it has me baffled. I'd appreciate any suggestions about what to look at.

Thanks.

Attachments

• MX113 PSU.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 65

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• mx113-42.gif
    mx113-42.gif
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thank you for your assistance.

I do have the complete service manual and schematics. Mine does not show the voltages you have indicated in red. For my learning, how did you determine those voltages?

I have 136VAC at the points you indicate should be 94 volts, so you are correct that there is a problem with the AC. Now to determine what it might be.

I'll check the Q202.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Success! It turns out that the picture of the traces in both versions of the service manual on HiFiengine are the same, but do not match the traces on the board in my MX113. As a result, the Q202 was reversed emitter and base. I had to use a different heatsink and connection to the collector of Q202 to get it correct but it works now. And sounds excellent.

I have not seen this occurrence previously - namely traces that don't match the service manual. I've looked for other versions of the service manual with no luck. And this is a fairly early serial number - covered by the service manual I used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.