Soft start relay is running hot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
The soft start relay is getting hot, like 60-65c. I am on mains 240v

is it supposed to run this hot ?

I followed the bom on diyaudiostore

Andreas

Attachments

• CBF6FA07-8F51-4501-9D15-A3167FCF54DD.jpg
    CBF6FA07-8F51-4501-9D15-A3167FCF54DD.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 247
The relay contacts are there to bypass the series soft start resistors and are activated by the relay coil .

The relay should be at least 10 amps working and unless I am missing something not seeing a schematic there is not much more to a simple SSR .

There should be some heat from the relay coil but not so hot you cant keep your fingers on it .

It looks like it is built into your amplifier --correct ? --if so it would not get by the British Standards Institute on electrical engineering safety --or is it built into a separate box ?

Increase R1 if the measured voltage across Zener is more than 24V. Basically, increase that resistor to get a stable relay closure and 24V DC across Zener.

If you are getting more than 24V, that is not a good sign... Zener can not regulate the voltage.... which means that the R1 must be increased.

I checked the BOM... I'd expected to see different values for R1 and R2, depending on mains voltage 100/110 or 220/230/240V AC... No?

Also, the relay contacts might not be closing hard enough... this would mean that the voltage across Zener is not high enough (this is very unlikely)... OR the relay is faulty.

It is extremely unlikely the contacts themselves will see anything higher than a few amps.

Later on, once you figured out what's going on with the heat, you could try a different relay; one with split contacts, you'll like the sound better.

EDIT: make sure that there's no ringing at the secondary side of the transformer (oscilloscope); you may need a snubber.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.