Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Trying to build a +/- 18V power supply for hypex DLCP, please help
Trying to build a +/- 18V power supply for hypex DLCP, please help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2020, 07:35 PM   #11
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

Double check you have the correct regulator in the correct side of the circuit.
Check the regulator pinouts: invariably different for pos & neg regulators!
Check the datasheet for each type.
Old 1st December 2020, 07:37 PM   #12
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

What is the current draw of the circuit you are powering?
What is the current rating of the transformer you are using?
Transformer needs to be double what you think as you are supplying current to both pos & neg rails.
Old 1st December 2020, 10:56 PM   #13
tgreese is offline tgreese  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
hi tgreese,

is stacking two power supplies a better engineering solution? It sounds sketchy but I don't know it that's my lack of education!
You can stack supplies just like you stack batteries. It's not sketchy. Same idea. Any supply will conform to whatever ground reference you assign to it. Just make sure that all your ground references are to the same potential (ie earth or safety ground).
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:56 AM   #14
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
Hi all,

Picture is attached. Hope this is clear what I'm trying to do, I looked at the recommended PSU and understand that it says it can be used with an AC wall wart, but still confused over how we achieve that if it requires 3 input rails??

I'm keen to learn how to make these though as I'd like to make some opamp based active filters next year and will need to make psu's for them.
Read the P05 article in post #3 where Rod explains the use of a AC wall wart to achieve split rails.

Trying to build a +/- 18V power supply for hypex DLCP, please helpHide this!Advertise here!