Diy Powersupply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone, i am starting a new project, i am going to make a PowerSupply for my X-Can V8 and my heed , i will use it as a learning experience, so i will try to make it as good as possible, fuigure i will try a lot of things to get it as good as i can. :)

The easyest thing will be the PSU for my X-Can V8 sens it seams to only be a toroidal transformer around 30va and not much more, one that makes a third party PSU have added a EPCOS surge protection and a EVOX class X2 for filtering.
is it a good idea to att surge protevtion and filtering ? if so what whold
be a good rout to go ? something like a IEC with EMI filter or is it better to make a board for that ?
The wall wart that come with 3 pins gives it 24VCT (12 0 -12) and 500mA
dose anyone have a picture on how the X-Psu V8 looks like inside ?

The next one is the powersupply for my Heed Audio Questar
The Heed Q-Psu 3 that is the "real" one i shold get seams to use a

50VA transformer
8x diodes for bridge rectifier

2x10 000uf 63v 85c caps (on older modelse they have used Jamicon)

4x voltige regulators ( conectors have 4 pins 2x24v )
and a few smal caps and diodes.

from what i can see they use one film cap before the rectifier from + to -
what is the "best" way to do this, from what i have seen some use a cap and a resistor from + to - , then some use film caps like a 10nf in parallel with diodes in the rectifier. i am open for ideas :) and also what is the best diodes to use in the rectifiers ? Schottky diodes ? [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]or a "chip" ? something els?
is there any voltage regulators that you know of that will be realy good for this ?

i know that there is a lot of questions (and there will be more) but i am just starting out in making my own circuits so bear with me :)
i dont realy have a budget for all of this but sens this is for learning as well i might have a higher budget then i normaly whold, as long as it costs less then the originals:) hahaha the Q-psu is 572USD?? and the X-Psu when it was around was 350USD so it shold be easy to get below that i am guessing :)

have a nice day all :)[/FONT]

be a good rout to go ? something like a IEC with EMI filter or is it better to make a board for that ?
You need to use spell check.
Even using a wall transformer, you get less lightning pops and rf pickup if you put a RF filter in your preamp chassis. I salvage such from dead PC's (the PCAT power supply) or from dead flat screen televisions. The 11 turn toroidal choke of either product does a good job if installed near the input to the steel preamp case. Followed by the x cap across the line, (usually yellow .47 uf) and the surge filter (blue disk). As these last two devices fail short, a fuse before all this at the entrance to the case is required.
OTOH if the transformer is in your preamp (not recommended), the IEC socket from a PCAT power supply has the Rf filtering built in. Also many other products you can salvage.
Note using a wall transformer, the analog ground can be derived from a single voltage coming in with two voltage regulators or zener diodes with suitable RC filters following. As my mixer only had 6 op amps, I used cheap 1n5344 zeners.
Note if you salvage a flat screen tv, the screen can be folded up and discarded in the trash. No recycling tag required if you do that, and saw up the case. Wear safety glasses & top grain leather or kevlar gloves.
Happy recycling, or perhaps shopping.

from what i can see they use one film cap before the rectifier from + to -
what is the "best" way to do this, from what i have seen some use a cap and a resistor from + to - , then some use film caps like a 10nf in parallel with diodes in the rectifier. i am open for ideas :) and also what is the best diodes to use in the rectifiers ? Schottky diodes ? [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]or a "chip" ? something els?
is there any voltage regulators that you know of that will be realy good for this ?
About protection: the only protection really must be is a fuse. An overvoltage protection may be needed if you live in a house with an air infeed supplying feeders (but not cables).
There is usually no need in film caps in the rectifier except in the RC-snubbers.
If there is a possibility to use Shottky - then use them.

Last edited:
You need to use spell check.
Even using a wall transformer, you get less lightning pops and rf pickup if you put a RF filter in your preamp chassis. I salvage such from dead PC's (the PCAT power supply) or from dead flat screen televisions. The 11 turn toroidal choke of either product does a good job if installed near the input to the steel preamp case. Followed by the x cap across the line, (usually yellow .47 uf) and the surge filter (blue disk). As these last two devices fail short, a fuse before all this at the entrance to the case is required.
OTOH if the transformer is in your preamp (not recommended), the IEC socket from a PCAT power supply has the Rf filtering built in. Also many other products you can salvage.
Note using a wall transformer, the analog ground can be derived from a single voltage coming in with two voltage regulators or zener diodes with suitable RC filters following. As my mixer only had 6 op amps, I used cheap 1n5344 zeners.
Note if you salvage a flat screen tv, the screen can be folded up and discarded in the trash. No recycling tag required if you do that, and saw up the case. Wear safety glasses & top grain leather or kevlar gloves.
Happy recycling, or perhaps shopping.

Tnx for the tip well what i got for electronic scrap is this, well alot of the same boards, a few hundred, anything usful ? The blue discs are there at least, a few SR540, IN5401 IN5822 Schottky diodes some volt regulators, and good brand caps like Elna and the blue one that i always forget the name of :) the blue flat disc as well, the only anoying thing whith using old parts is that the leads are so short :p

Attachments

• 5579740B-D9F8-459F-9244-0E903A6847EC.jpg
    5579740B-D9F8-459F-9244-0E903A6847EC.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 172
About protection: the only protection really must be is a fuse. An overvoltage protection may be needed if you live in a house with an air infeed supplying feeders (but not cables).
There is usually no need in film caps in the rectifier except in the RC-snubbers.
If there is a possibility to use Shottky - then use them.

Tnx for the reply, yes i will use a fuse, probably one that is in the IEC connector
I live in an apartment so no hanging wires :) okey so they might be owerkill ? Whold it be bad in any way to use them or whold it just be a waste of money ?
Well they arent expensive and i can order anything so if using Shottky whold be the best at this i will use some :)

I live in an apartment so no hanging wires :) okey so they might be owerkill ? Whold it be bad in any way to use them or whold it just be a waste of money ?
It is free to use. Only your decision. I like to use varistors or suppressors if there is free space (somebody don't like to use them and think it is overkill). But there is strict rules for them, because they can be dangerous to use (risk of fire). So I can say that varistors or suppressors in mains circuits are not for young players.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.