SSR Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ai do not remember having this issue before. But, seems I am on a roll.

Bought a nifty 40A SSR off the WEB. Hooked it up so USB controls the rest of the stereo. Serious hum in the transformers. Load dependent. Now before, I just had a very light load on a 10A SSR, but did not notice any hum.

So, swapped in the 10A. Still hum, but only when load over an amp.

Drug out the scope. I can just barely tell a switching glitch for the triac, but nothing I woudl think upset the transformers. Anyway, guess I am looking for a relay. I wanted the SSR as it pulls so little from the USB. Best relay I found is 70mA.

Anyone else have this?

Ordered some relays boards. Guess the best tool for putting in a nail is still a hammer.

Odd, the waveform out of the output here looks a bit distorted, but it may be my cheap probes at that scale. I should still have an old P6106 somewhere. Hope it is not my old Tek scope going off, but it is 30 years old.

I want to test further just to understand. The possible DC bias I had not thought of, but it makes sense. I still have an old huge line filter I might play with. Don't have an isolation transformer, just a big autotransformer from back when I built amps. Yesterday was a very frustrating day, so I need to chill a little.

Been reading up on DC blockers. "Sounds" like that was in fact the problem. It was so bad my e-core in my DAC supply hummed, but not like the toroid in the Creek.

My solution is a relay, but I may just incorporate one along with a basic line filter in my buss bar. Seems like good practice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.