Mean well vs generic power adapter vs audio oriented smps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FWIW I just wire the heaters to the output of the SMPS. I don't even add a cap. Works properly. No noise in the output of the audio circuit.

Hi ! thanks a lot. Actually i see the heater as a electrons production machine. My guess is that most of the noise come from the anode/cathode ? power supply noise and maybe even self noise ?
I am very confused with tubes ... i do not understand i the two psu for heaters and tubes must share any ground ... i am very confused
It would be much easier to use two completely separated psu ... but there can be noise issues ? very complicated. :confused::(
Sorry for sliding OT ...

They need to be referenced to each other because "it's bad to leave things floating".
Indeed strange things happen when things are left to float electrically. Leave the control grid disconnected and see negative voltages in an amp with no negative rail :)

It doesn't have to be ground referenced though. Many people reference them to a portion of the B+.

A Noisy heater can capacitively couple noise into the audio via the cathode so in theory the cleaner the power to the heater, the less noise. However, many many sets were made over the years using simple AC with twisted wiring that didn't suffer from hum.

Not all heaters are wound the same, either. Some are just a folded wire, some are spiral wound like a light bulb filament (reduces hum apparently).

Sorry for the aside, OP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.