Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Mean well vs generic power adapter vs  audio oriented smps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2020, 06:35 PM   #11
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have had very good luck with MeanWell and am very happy to use them in these audio projects.
Old 26th August 2020, 07:18 PM   #12
kodabmx is online now kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

If a Mean Well power supply blow up is it then a "Meant Well"?

I've had great results with some generic Chinese supplies from eBay... Some of them are just trash though. Laptop bricks are cheap and plentiful at the local thrift shop though... Good value there.
Old 27th August 2020, 02:36 AM   #13
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrk View Post
Well I wouldnt need a transformer with any of the aforementioned smps, would I? They are priced low but am I getting something more with my money for a more expensive one?
smps have transformers but they are much smaller and cheaper than linear supply.
Old 27th August 2020, 02:39 AM   #14
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrk View Post
Well I wouldnt need a transformer with any of the aforementioned smps, would I? They are priced low but am I getting something more with my money for a more expensive one?
smps have transformers but they are much smaller and cheaper than linear supply.

i recently used an 20 watt smps on a jlh96 project.
it was 9.
Old 27th August 2020, 03:16 AM   #15
Sangram is online now Sangram  India
diyAudio Moderator

Anything that does not require burst power works very well with a quiet SMPS. I've had very good luck with Meanwell, but have used cheaper supplies on Class A amplifiers with no issues at all. I've not had much luck with Class D though, all of them seem to have some residual noise that I can't fix even with a high quality linear PSU.
Old 27th August 2020, 03:31 AM   #16
kasey197 is offline kasey197
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Same here - i am testing a meanwell LRS350-48 for a class A amp - so far it does seem to be quite outstanding. There is a tiny bit of ripple at the outputs around the switching frequency tho at about the same levels as the omnipresent mains harmonics from the environment.

Do you use any post filtering techniques or add a lot of capacitance to the meanwells you use ? Their internal current limiting should take care of the cap charge surge ...
Old 27th August 2020, 04:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

I do use a small LC filter to clean up HF ripple and where performance is absolutely critical I would use a cap multiplier instead of that. Wurth has some nice common-mode HF inductors with up to 5A capability.

Large cap banks seem to hurt switchers more than help, I see a rise in output noise when connecting large caps. Meanwell supplies seem to have very little output capacitance but lower residuals.

I've never had much luck with Push-pull Class A, or Class AB amps with switchers - at least not the ones we get here. I'm sure there may be better options, just that I can't seem to access those.
Old 27th August 2020, 05:17 AM   #18
kasey197 is offline kasey197
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Good suggestions - and indeed a simple CLC with a 6.8 uH cm choke pushes down the HF to almost irrelevant levels.
I’m curious about your comment that you’ve not had much luck when using switchers with pp Amps tho - in what way did you find them deficient?
Old 27th August 2020, 05:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

There is a slight lack of clarity in the midrange when using switchers. I think it's the inability to keep up with drastic changes in energy requirements in the midrange. I thought bass would be an issue but it's not, and neither is the top end. I hadn't measured any of this, but I generally stay away from this combination unless cost becomes an issue (professional amps are one area where I might use it, with a cap multiplier).
Old 27th August 2020, 07:24 AM   #20
auriga2001in is offline auriga2001in  India
diyAudio Member

Somewhat off topic... Can I use a buck converter (LM2596) to step down voltage after a Meanwell smps? My configuration is Meanwell (12 V) -> buck converter (5V). This wil be used for a USB DAC.

Mean well vs generic power adapter vs  audio oriented smpsHide this!Advertise here!