Power supply question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ah sorry it's for a Topping D50 dac. Looking for one that is very low noise and also doesn't chuck a bunch of ac noise back into the mains that could affect my other equipment. I'm an audiophile so not after the cheapest option. Looking for someone with experience here rather than finding random power supplies on ebay.

Cheers, Tim

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So it sounds like you do want a linear supply then. I can't just think of any that are nice to look at and already boxed up and ready to go.

A linear supply is little more than a transformer, rectifier and cap/s and a linear regulator.

The one you linked to could easily be fed from an SMPS and there is no reason to worry over stuff going back in to the mains. You probably already have loads of those supplies in use at home anyway, router, phone etc etc.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't know of any tests as such but I'm pretty sure a suitable SMPS used to feed something like the supply you linked to would give a very clean result. The data sheets should quote the ripple and noise present at the output.

From what I see you would need something like 8 to 12 volts feeding it. If you go to high then power dissipation will increase. The LT3045 regulator is a low drop out type and only needs a very small overhead to work correctly.

It would be worth checking what range of voltage can be applied when you have it set to 5 volts and want to draw say 1 amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.