Which regulator for phono preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
11k seems a bit high for a cartridge in the 450mH area. I don't have numbers for the new stuff but my ATs are 360mH or less. I would expect you to need around 7K to get the 2122Hz pole. Hans simmed it with Marcel a couple of years back and here are is the quote from his post

I simulated 3 versions of a Riaa preamp, again with 500mH + 600 Ohm Cart and OPA1652.
The 3 versions differed in their Cart load resistances, resp 47K//200pF, 25K//200pF for a 8Khz pole and 6k//200pF for a 75usec pole.

All 3 versions were simulated with and without a "cooled" resistor, in this case by using a second OPA1652 with a gain of 10x.
This time I corrected the switched inputs of posting #152, giving slightly different results, but not much.
I won't display all images, that would a bit too much, but the final results are here with minus figures in red:

-------------Noise penalty-------"Cool" Gain---------Overall Gain/Loss

Version 47k ----- 0dBA ----------- 1.6dBA --------------- 1.6dBA

Version 25K --- 2.0dBA ----------- 3.1dBA --------------- 1.1dBA

Version 6K -----7.6dBA ----------- 7.3dBA --------------- 0.3dBA

Now this was pushing the limits of noise for MM stages mind.

I ordered a SilentSwitcher, and I have the AMB sigma22 with transformer.
I'll try them both to see if there is an audible difference.

I would also be interested to measure for the learning experience, but I may not have the appropriate tools.
I have a Tektronix 2235A, a Fluke 87V DMM, and PC w/ ARTA and Pete's sound card interface (I also have Jan's autoranger on the way).
If possible, could someone recommend a useful test here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.