PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I just went through the same decision and I opted to wait until Oct.2 shipping at DigiKey. My logic was simple. The Mean Well worked for my first build so I'll stick with it. Superstitious? Yes. Scientific and rational? No.

I'll let Mark talk for himself but it's been my observation that Mark doesn't recommend so much as he gives us options and wants us to learn how to make our own choices. He's taught me quite a bit. I'm not sure if he answered the "tell me what to do questions" he would really be helping us.

Hi Audiobear,

The real difference I saw was line regulation and capacitive load that are different. I mean voltage input is different but way ok for my region. I’ll wait to see what Mark says about it. If those settings won’t impact the circuit them I’m really not worried. I just see that Meanwell offers very good specs for so little money.

All the best!
Do

IRM-02-5 AC/DC module

Just for future reference and as alternative. for AC/DC module I used mouser part number 919-RAC02-05SE/277 (RECOM same specifications, dimensions and pin placement as Mean Well) it is more expensive but for me it was still cheaper then to order from somewhere else and pay additional shiping costs.

Hi,
I tested my PS today. First time the power is ON by flipping the switch, there was a delay with seems to be relay clicking, then I heard the relay click again and measured 120 Vac at P1D and P1N. Measured voltage at LED On-Off at 5.1 Vdc.
When I flip the switch back to OFF position, the voltage across P1D and P1N stays at 85 Vac. LED voltage 0.0 Vdc.
Any hint on how to troubleshoot? Thank you!

Abe

Don't the philippines use 220V? If that is the case and you put jumper across 230V you should measure between P1D and P2N and get 220V reading.
If you live in US then the reading between P1D and P1N is correct. But there should be almost no current when off, maybee 1V if nothing connected.

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief, I am in Diamond Bar California USA 91765. Snoop dog is my neighbor! :cheerful:

Pics of my board

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

Thank you!

Abe

Last edited:
Additional Pics.

First Pic- power connected to L,N, and Chassis, switch open, LED Off is illuminated, lamp (RadioShack) connected to P1D and P1N illuminated (85 Vac Measured across P1D and P1N, P2D and P2N).
IMG_1646.jpg

Second Pic - switch close, LED On illuminated, lamp still lit but brighter (120Vac measured across P1D and P1N)
IMG_1647.jpg

I saw Marks post (#126) and says

"Another experiment you can try, is to connect a very low wattage, mains-powered incandescent light bulb where the transformer primary would go. A bathroom night-light (3W in USA) would be perfect. Presto, the bulb does not light".
In my case, the lamp is always ON but just varies in intensity.

Hah! I finally figured it out!

When configured for 115Vac double primary, if you leave one set (say P2D and P2N) open, it acts what I had experienced. Need both sets, I use 100K resistor, with a load. After that, works fine.

Mark I believe already mentioned similar this but took me a while to find the documentation on the thread.

Abe

Hello everyone

And finally my H9KPXG works excellently, just connect the transformer to P1D and P2N, this for the 230V configuration and the strange readings are over.

In the pictures you can see H9KPXG already installed on the BA-3 chassis. If you are intrigued by the appearance of that same chassis, let's say I learned that you never buy the chassis first, or you end up with components that do not allow you to close the lid ...

A help for those who are in Europe and want to use Mouser to order components for H9KPXG, in Europe, Meanwell AC to DC module is not sold to private customers (only to OEM customers), you can replace it with one from Recom, Mouser part N: 919-RAC02-05SGA, the only difference between them is the price, the Recom being slightly more expensive.

And now I saw that Ripster had already indicated an alternative for the AC / DC module as well.

My thanks again to Mark Johnson for his generosity in sharing this project with us.

Best regards

Carlos

Attachments

• P_20200924_211336.jpg
    P_20200924_211336.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 529
Joined 2013
Paid Member
My PCB's arrived from China, and I found the Meanwell relay's,only took a week to get them. The first one is for the Singing Bush SIT amp which I have a 48v 1000va torroid. The soft start has the 250 Joules thermistor for the mongo transformer.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 426
Joined 2011
Paid Member
WHOA! That's spectacular, elwood625! Congratulations. I think you might be the first builder to drop in one of the 250 Joule ICL discs and show a photo -- it's extremely cool.

Very nice looking assembly with neat soldering and beautiful flux clean-off.

Now there's another 250 Joule Sumo Wrestler in town. Wimps had better get out the way.