Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG
PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2020, 02:53 PM   #11
BrianGasberg is online now BrianGasberg  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing this design Mark - it will fit very nicely in the F6 i am currently building

A suggesting for future revisions, if i may, could be an external trigger input
Old 26th May 2020, 06:55 PM   #12
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Hi Brian, thanks for your input! I haven't met very many people who are enthusiastic proponents of external triggered on/off control. Would you mind saying whether you're actually using it today, in your everyday setup? Or are you thinking about PCB features that might be useful to others? Or useful to yourself, one day in the possible future?
Old 27th May 2020, 07:09 AM   #13
BrianGasberg is online now BrianGasberg  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark, i am not using it now - but i want to

I am listening to Roon via an always on raspberry pi. What i am working towards, is using a GPIO from the rPi to trigger the DAC, and then the rest of the chain. A while back i started designing a PCB which, apart from the functionality on your PCB, has trigger in/out (with apropriate trigger out delay) and loss of AC detection (for speaker relays). However i have way to many projects, and with your well engineered PCBs, i am one step closer to finishing my F6

I will propably have three extra PCBs in Denmark, if anyone is interested.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:09 PM   #14
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

I use this for low voltage on off...

What does yours do that this doesn't since I assume it will cost more than 3$ to build it...

12V Bond Bistable Relay Module Car Modification Switch Start Stop Self-Locking | eBay

EDIT: Yours does soft start, this one doesn't. Not sure how I missed that, but since I was using a 120V switch with no soft start before it made no difference. When I need soft start, it's accomplished with a time delay relay that shorts a 500R 20W resistor.
Old 28th May 2020, 06:55 PM   #15
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

By the way, if anyone wants to make before-and-after photos of inrush current, with and without countermeasures (this board, a different board, etc.), maybe the little homebrew test fixture I built a couple years ago might be a useful starting point. A circuit schematic and photo of working fixture are in post #41 here. If that link isn't working the post date was 16th Dec 2018.

I used the MOC3063M optocoupler and the BT139 triac back then; they worked well for me and the cost was low. So I used the same parts again, in this AC power relay board; they're known good.

Notice the double dose of conservatism in post #41: galvanically isolated, battery powered switch, AND gloves. With good result: many tests but zero electric shocks to the operator (me).
Old 30th May 2020, 12:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Here is an example of the AC power relay board, mounted on the 10 x 10mm grid of a Modushop chassis baseplate. This PCB is the one indicated by a yellow arrow on the photograph.

For the front panel switch, I used a 19mm diameter, illuminated pushbutton that I bought from Newark (link)

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGC_with_ACPR.JPG (758.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg SGC_front.JPG (184.3 KB, 322 views)
File Type: png salespage.png (120.3 KB, 307 views)
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:12 PM   #17
iamwhoiam is offline iamwhoiam  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Bravo Mark, really helpful design, thanks!
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much!

If you're thinking of doing your own board, please also have a look at the design by member Bensen (links in post #8) for additional ideas. Plus of course, the original sources linked in post #1: Pass, Elliott, Cordell, Self, jhofland, T.I., Bryston, Ganssle et. al. Between all of them you'll get a bunch of ideas and a bunch of already-proven subcircuit blocks, which you can mix and match and tweak and fiddle, however you please.
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:08 PM   #19
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

I just made up a couple of these boards.. Thanks Mark!!

Found an error in my cart!!—fixed here:
Mouser Electronics

I'll post some pics of the built boards later...
Suffice it to say I learned a lot about soldering—and I wouldn't say I'm a novice there—but I had to go up 100 degrees F to get some areas to flow... Assuming that's due to the fact that more than half the board is copper...? The experience was the same for both boards... Kinda interesting...
Old 4th June 2020, 12:11 AM   #20
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

And a pic...

I made two since I'm putting them into M2X mono blocks...

Sweet!!!

I vote for this getting the blue mask treatment and being added to the DIY store. I woulda opted for black mask personally... but it was a hefty upcharge.

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG-acpr_0012-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACPR_0012.jpg (559.9 KB, 708 views)

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXGHide this!Advertise here!