Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG
PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2020, 10:14 PM   #151
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

I received a Private Message from a diyAudio member, who asked how to connect a 230V transformer with a single secondary.

Since I think the Forum is by far the best way to share technical expertise across the whole community, I will put my reply here where everyone can see it, and possibly reply with their own thoughts.

The member drew a very beautiful figure which illustrates his/her opinion about the right way to connect three different transformers to H9KPXG. I agree with all of them! I congratulate you on a beautiful piece of engineering communication. I think I would also mention, very briefly, that it is also perfectly fine / perfectly harmless to add a jumper in location "P10" for the 230V / single_secondary case. The bottom drawing in the stack of three drawings.

Well done!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three_options.jpg (155.4 KB, 303 views)
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:00 PM   #152
donhughes111 is offline donhughes111
diyAudio Member

Default Nice drawing

Wow. wish I could draw like that. For now, I will just stay focused on the "electron management" portion.

Want to take this opportunity to thank Mark for all he does with this board. My first PCB order, my first normally open/normally closed switch wiring project and it all works perfectly. Three installed so far. Should have had more than 5 boards made.

Don
Old 24th September 2020, 05:22 AM   #153
Ripster is offline Ripster  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I received a Private Message from a diyAudio member, who asked how to connect a 230V transformer with a single secondary.

Since I think the Forum is by far the best way to share technical expertise across the whole community, I will put my reply here where everyone can see it, and possibly reply with their own thoughts.

The member drew a very beautiful figure which illustrates his/her opinion about the right way to connect three different transformers to H9KPXG. I agree with all of them! I congratulate you on a beautiful piece of engineering communication. I think I would also mention, very briefly, that it is also perfectly fine / perfectly harmless to add a jumper in location "P10" for the 230V / single_secondary case. The bottom drawing in the stack of three drawings.

Well done!
Mark

So what would be the correct or better way to connect TWO 230V transformers with single primary to one board.
1. Jumper 230V both transformers connected to P1D and P2N.
2. Jumpers across 115V and connect one transformer to P1D - P1N and other P2D - P2N.

sorry for repeating myself...
Old 24th September 2020, 04:50 PM   #154
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

I would choose whichever option is the least confusing to someone else.
  • Your kid, that you give the amp to, when she leaves for college
  • A repair person
  • The next owner after you. Maybe you'll sell the amp, maybe your widow will sell it upon your death, etc.
I suppose it might be even better to say "the most intuitive" rather than "the least confusing"
Old 24th September 2020, 08:54 PM   #155
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark. Could I ask you how I could adapt this circuit to work on the DC side only? Right now, I'm thinking a depfet like IXTH6N50D2 as a current limiting pass device? The goal is to limit chargine current to ~2A. a 1R resistance in the source leg of the MOSFET would do it?

Last edited by kodabmx; 24th September 2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 24th September 2020, 11:51 PM   #156
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

For DC in, DC out, I imagine the smart play is to discard this H9KPXG schematic completely and start over from scratch. The heart of this circuit is an AC-to-DC converter which I very much doubt you will need. The second most important component in this circuit is a triac, a semiconductor switch which is highly optimized to handle mains AC ... that you don't need to be switched.

I recommend that you and your circuit design consultant get a booth at a pizza restaurant and stay there for 2-3 hours, brainstorming about what you ACTUALLY want, what you ACTUALLY need, what you can ACTUALLY afford, and how these things might possibly be accomplished on two layer boards using thru hole parts only. It will take you guys a while to hash out priorities and tradeoffs. I am super confident to predict that the design you leave with, will have strikingly different features than you THOUGHT you wanted when you arrived at the pizza booth.

On the other hand, what you read here is "free advice" and worth every penny you paid for it.
Old 24th September 2020, 11:54 PM   #157
jazzzman is offline jazzzman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Q re pcb fabrication

I have heard that OSH Park is a pcb maker that many hobbyists use. I like that it is located in the U.S., although it is a bit more expensive than the Chinese fabricators. I obtained a quote of $57.25 for 3 pieces, which does not seem too bad. However, if I want 2 oz. copper (which I do) they fabricate a thinner board (.8mm thick instead of 1.6mm). Does that disqualify them or is it okay to have the thinner board?
Thanks for any insight anyone can give.
Jazzzman
Old 25th September 2020, 12:09 AM   #158
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

I paid USD 83 for 30 boards with 2 oz copper and gold ("ENIG") plating. Order details and invoice below. Privacy blackouts employed too.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png details.png (76.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: png invoice.png (45.5 KB, 222 views)
Old 25th September 2020, 12:14 AM   #159
jazzzman is offline jazzzman  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Mark. I guess my place is more than a bit more expensive! Nonetheless, would .8mm be a problem?
Old 25th September 2020, 09:25 PM   #160
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

I'm just going through the BoM and realized that the Meanwell IRM-02-5 is not in stock at Mouser or Digikey... I did find those ones though with the same footprint

PSK-S2C-5 from CUI Inc.
RAC02-05SGB from Recom
RAC02-05SGA from Recom (this one is more household)

Would you recommend any of those or should I wait for the Meanwell?

Thanks
Do

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXGHide this!Advertise here!