Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recommendations for 3v3 supply for xmos.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2020, 07:13 PM   #1
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendations for 3v3 supply for xmos.

What would be a good supply to power the 3.3v this diyinhk xmos board requires ?
XMOS 384kHz DXD DSD256 high-quality USB to I2S/DSD/SPDIF PCB - DIYINHK

I'm currently using one of these
low noise Pre-Amp / DAC power supply MJE15034 TL072 Regulator based on STUDER 900
to power a SRC at 5v and another at 6v feeding an AMS1117 board to power the xmos.
5pcs DC 5V to 3.3V Step-Down Power Supply Module AMS1117-3.3 800MA LDO NEW 700850568148 | eBay

What would improve on that ?

Last edited by DRONE7; 20th May 2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:36 PM   #2
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi ... If it only needs 3.3 VDC I would consider using a LiFePO4 battery (e.g. A123 Systems) and float charge it to 3.35 VDC (do check though that the diyinhk can handle this voltage - but I would be surprised if it can not).

Very low noise, high current delivery capability, almost no internal impedance (to my memory 6 milliohms) and it can be float charged from e.g. an LT3042 or LM317T.

If you prefer a simple solution it could be the LiFePO4 battery powered by the LM317T which you could then switch off if you would like to listen to battery only.

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 21st May 2020, 04:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the suggestion !

After researching this I find all local suppliers are out of stock of the battery and currently we are not receiving post from 29 countries !! due to the suspension of passenger air services..(which freight small item cargo )

I will make a note for a future project.

So, any other suggestions for a supply I can build ?

Ideally I would like to modify the Studer 900 but alas 5v seems to be the lower limit and even if it were possible to adjust for 3v3 the requirement for at least 9v ac input would mean far too much heat generated in the case.

cheers,
bob.
Old 21st May 2020, 05:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob ... well, the Covid-19 has an effect most everywhere it seems - and I reckon that a society like New Zealand's may be even more affected due to the current scarceness of regular transportation ...

Regarding power supply I will start out by saying that IMHO batteries are by far the sonically lowest noise, most powerful, revealing and "black/silent" power supply there is. So, again IMHO, I would personally always choose a battery where I can. And you may use other LiFePO4 chemistry batteries - they might sound differently though than the A123 Systems' which are the ones I have experience with.

That said I also would not choose a supply based on a TL072. The TL072 has a 3 MHz bandwidth and since you will be supplying digital circuitry there will be quite some HF noise that - as I see it - should be "handled" by the PSU. The TL072 is way too slow for that.

If it were me I would take a look at the diyaudio member Salas's shunt regulators:

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

, the LT3042, or (again if it were me) wait until the batteries become available. FYI I have attached an LM317T circuitry that will sound reasonable (depending on the components you use - nichicon fine gold, KZ could be suggestions) - I'm thinking it could be used for a start. The extra leaf & rainwater drops are because I use two screens and my HD is currently full so that I cannot edit the size

You may, of course, also use the PSU you linked to yourself (if you can get it?) - I would add some extra higher capacitance capacitors on the input and output.

Cheers,

Jesper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU.jpg (405.7 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by gentlevoice; 21st May 2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 21st May 2020, 07:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your most informative suggestions..

For your preference for a battery could I sub in some NiMH until the A123 Systems become available ?

Thanks for the comments re TL072... I did not know that.

I will look at the Salas, but again, getting boards may be some time away...

Thank you for the Lm317 circuit...I will try that as I have the components in my 'drawer'

Quote:
The extra leaf & rainwater drops
are quite lovely and calming...

Quote:
You may, of course, also use the PSU you linked to yourself (if you can get it?) - I would add some extra higher capacitance capacitors on the input and output.
The AMS1117 ? I have this currently and your suggestions would be very easily made...

Again, thank you for your time and help...it is most appreciated. !

Best,
Bob.

Last edited by DRONE7; 21st May 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
Project and parts horder
diyAudio Member

LT3042?
Old 21st May 2020, 05:37 PM   #7
tvicol is offline tvicol  Europe
diyAudio Member

Zeno II is coming and now I have designed a version with Saligny LC integrated.
Able to deliver over 3A without heatsink.

Regards,
Tibi
Attached Images
File Type: png Zemo II.png (113.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: png Zeno&Saligny.png (130.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

@gentlevoice
Quote:
Yes... This was easy from the rat-box ! A couple of 1000uF low ESR caps from some random computer Mobo at the input and output of the AMS1117...

Input made a small but noticeable difference....output made a rather large and definitely noticeable difference !!

Thanks for your guidance ...I am looking forward to the future when the A123 batteries are available and to try your suggested mods...

Thanks,
bob

Last edited by DRONE7; 22nd May 2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob ... you are welcome - pleased that it worked out and you could hear a difference ;-)

Let me just briefly say that I am very power supply oriented, and have concluded that a good power supply can indeed transform a reasonable (but otherwise well-designed) audio system. And again IMHO (good) batteries are in a league of their own ...

But if you decide to try batteries beware that they are entirely unforgiving: Since Li-ions and LiFePO4s cannot be discharged (will ruin them) they are always powerfully "ON" and therefore there can be no mistakes ... Just FYI and remembering one or two grey hairs appeared over time due to battery "mistakes" ...

Cheers and best of luck in this endeavor of yours ;-)

Jesper
Old 24th May 2020, 06:37 AM   #10
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Salas Reflektor D is a nice shunt ref that does 3v3.

I dont think the UBib goes down to that low a voltage

Recommendations for 3v3 supply for xmos.Hide this!Advertise here!