magnetic momentum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Its the 250VA toroidal transformer building up magnetic momentum. Are you using normal or time delay (slow blow) primary side fuse?

During my long research on transformer/inrush current, I once stumbled across this long info-sheet about exactly the magnetic momentum of transformators. It's in german, unfortunately, but as far as I understood (that's not that far), it is adressing exactly this issue.
If I got it right, it manages the electric/magnetic impulse of a transformer, but not the inrush current into the capacitors...

Maybe some knowledgeable mind can chime in for more details?

david

Attachments

• 00-Trafoschaltrelais-Vortrag-FSM_121019.pdf
    472.6 KB · Views: 74
If you go to Transformatorschaltrelais – Wikipedia you get a more readable explanation albeit also in german though. I thought they teach german in switzerland. Anyway, you could try to have this translated into french or english. The english wiki on the subject is not the same and will not help you further. But right at the very end of the german wiki there is a link to a euro patent which might be of interest to you. Espacenet -

Bibliografische Daten

Maybe ...chime in for more details?

That is a nice presentation, the FSM circuit is clever, the best I have seen.
I have not seen any DIY version of this, it would be a useful project, maybe patent issues.
Member Taur0221 had a circuit that had a similar effect, looked well done.

This seems to be written by the same person and is quite helpful, easier to translate.
I think the OP's comment that he couldn't completely understand it is about the technical content, not that he can't read it.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
If you go to Transformatorschaltrelais – Wikipedia you get a more readable explanation albeit also in german though.
I have the very suspicion that this article's author is the same man who runs www.emeko.de - see the 2nd weblink. The article's diction and the grapghics appear to be almost identical as the ones used in this company's website, and no one else in the German speaking world uses the term Transformator-Schaltrelais. So this article has to be taken with many grains of salt. Rather it appears to have the character of an ad.
Clever ideas, though, but at least medium-sized transformers like the ones we use for audio purposes can be soft started with much less effort.
Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.