Current thinking :) on Audio-grade vs Standard grade Toroids in PSU!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks...still trying to source a replacement toroid (300VA 50-0-50v) to go in my JLH 80W Mosfet amp...built from a Hart Kit in the 80's

Have been pointed towards Toroidy.pl and see they offer both grades!
Snake-oil aside....do I need 'audio grade' in this amp's PSU??

Be gentle with me.....and...Happy Christmas!! :)

it seems this was "audio grade" ( used in my Leach amp) - screening + epoxy potted center opening.

AA-98050-AU Ring Core Transformer 800 VA 2x 42 VAC Noratel

as far as i remember 10 years ago it was much cheaper...

due to its high power, it starts up very softly even without a soft start, as I think the core material is properly selected. much less power "general" toroidal transformer triggers my house fuses without thermistor or soft start.

Attachments

• DSC00235.jpg
    DSC00235.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The lineup of audiophiles waiting for the shipment to be unpacked?

If you want true quality you want Industrial or Military grade.

Yes. Another way to get a low mech noise xformer is to specify a larger core for the power you want.
And a good xformer should have at least one internal screen between prim and sec. The go-to xformers for that are medical grade xformers.

If that sort of thing is not specified, 'audio' is just a way to double the price. ;-)

Jan

The magnetic shielding around toroid is often a two-layer speciel steel (poor mans mu-metal). Also the metal disc can be a special steel which should shield better than the "standard". Those parts can be purchased rather cheap so a standard industrial toroid can be made "audio grade". Clever positioning of toroid can make a difference. Maybe in its own chassis. Also effective filtering like CRCRC or CLC etc. makes a difference. I think solutions like that is more "audio grade" than just a very expensive toroid. I have very good results following these rules using standard Talema toroids.

I have been lucky, and have found a company (close enough that delivery is free to my work) that will custom wind toroidals for me. Shielded, potted, various windings incl. step-down trafos when I needed them. No noise from them, and quality build too. Pricing is roughly 70 Euros for a 400VA with Pri/Sec shield and centre potted and mounting hardware. 225 VA similarly is 50 Euros. Less expensive than RS and custom to boot.

I lke the idead of using a heavier core than normal. Will check and see if they will be prepared to wind onto heavier core than required.

Last edited:
What is the difference between 'regular' and audio grade? Apart from the price ;-)

Jan
Centre potting, electrostatic screen and magnetic shielding are what's mentioned by Toroidy (oh, and the black outer tape). I've bought quite a few (standard and customer) and I have been happy with the quality. However, their standard grade transformers seem good as well and I have in some cases opted for those when the slightly smaller dimensions mattered.

The "supreme" audio grade transformers are probably nice, but they are really expensive compared to the others and usually massive in size.

Hello All,

It is very difficult to find good transformers.
for several years I have only been taking from toroidy.pl, and only this category
"Toroidal-transformers-SUPREME-AUDIO-GRADE-V2/99"

But is not the only one:

Toroidal transformers SUPREME AUDIO GRADE V2 - Shop Toroidy.pl

Transformer_James transformer-custom toroidal transformer|R core transformer|O core transformer|C core transformer|EI transformer

J&K Audio Design: About Us

in my opinion the 3 best quality, but more expensive

Regards and happy new year to all

Charles

Last edited:
Eedjit that I am!

I have been lucky, and have found a company (close enough that delivery is free to my work) that will custom wind toroidals for me. Shielded, potted, various windings incl. step-down trafos when I needed them. No noise from them, and quality build too. Pricing is roughly 70 Euros for a 400VA with Pri/Sec shield and centre potted and mounting hardware. 225 VA similarly is 50 Euros. Less expensive than RS and custom to boot.

I lke the idead of using a heavier core than normal. Will check and see if they will be prepared to wind onto heavier core than required.
Bloody heck!! My bad, I meant step-up trafos (step-down:mad: duh!) (no such word as idead)

Canterbury Windings have an excellent reputation in the UK, I have purchased a few one off Audio Grade transformers wound to fit inside Naim Nac92/Nap90.3 cases, was VERY pleased with them when I received them.

Canterbury Windings Home

Click `Custom Designs` to have a read on what ingredients make up `Audio Grade`
Approached CW a few weeks ago as it happens...suggested I try again in the new year....busy it seems!!

Hello All,

It is very difficult to find good transformers.
for several years I have only been taking from toroidy.pl, and only this category
"Toroidal-transformers-SUPREME-AUDIO-GRADE-V2/99"

But is not the only one:

Toroidal transformers SUPREME AUDIO GRADE V2 - Shop Toroidy.pl

Transformer_James transformer-custom toroidal transformer|R core transformer|O core transformer|C core transformer|EI transformer

J&K Audio Design: About Us

in my opinion the 3 best quality, but more expensive

Regards and happy new year to all

Charles
Is J&k audiosesign sells in USA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.