LT3042/3045 LTSpice simulation

At about half way down the product pages under Ltspice simulations are files for 3.8-20V to 3.3V @ 500mA and 3.8-20V to 3.3V @ 200mA.

Here are the links:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/simulation-models/LTspice-demo-circuits/LT3045_DC2491A.asc

https://www.analog.com/media/en/simulation-models/LTspice-demo-circuits/LT3042_DC2246A.asc

You can also find lt3042 and lt3045 demonstration files that you can play with (named 3042.asc and 3045.asc) hidden away in this ltspice windows directory:

"C:\Users\username\Documents\LTspiceXVII\examples\jigs"

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have B and C shorted on your sim, also you have Vin set at just 5.5 volts. This is a linear reg and so needs at least 18v plus some headroom... which is getting toward maximum ratings for the chip. The voltage setting resistor needs altering to around 221k.

Its not an ideal application for this chip imo (your 18 volts requirement), in fact the data sheet specifies 15 volts as a maximum regulated output.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The inner CCS push 0.1mA current to SET pin, so there 150k represents 15V output.

Attachments

• LT3042 DiyinHK 15V.jpg
    LT3042 DiyinHK 15V.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Would this PSRR curve be correct

-196dB is not creditable in a real-world circuit. It "might" happen through lucky cancellation, but don't bet on it. Or expect to real-life measure (or hear!) it.

>100dB is creditable, in a simulation, although real life parasitics will spoil this.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks.

I can't seem to run PSRR and impedance simulations.

Do you know how to set things up for it to run?

PSRR: run "AC Analysis" with 1V AC input. The result is the output.

Output impedance:
Delete input AC amplitude.
Run "AC Analysis" with 1V AC in current source (Advanced-AC amplitude=1) -as load-.
Plot output voltage. Plot current source current.
Retype V(v+) to V(v+)/I(I1).
Set left vertical axis to linear.

Attachments

• Diyinhk 15V output impedance 2.jpg
    Diyinhk 15V output impedance 2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Diyinhk 15V output impedance.jpg
    Diyinhk 15V output impedance.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 249
  • DIYINHK_15V.asc
    2.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OK, could run the impedance simulation.

Why does it take so long to run? Is there something that could be done for it to run faster?

In other power supply simulations I am doing now the run time is just a few seconds, almost instantly. Why here is different?

Can you feed a negative voltage to have negative output regulator?

Last edited:
These curves are based on simulations I did, with regulators based on the datasheet.

So the schematics have some more parts than those that are used by DIYINHK.

Perhaps someone can explain me why the differences or the parts missing from the DIYINHK design.

As I didn't quite like the ascending PSRR curve, I am now simulating that adding a CRC filter at the input, with remarkable results.

Attachments

• LT3042_15v_PSRR.jpg
    LT3042_15v_PSRR.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 219
  • LT3042_15v_impedance.jpg
    LT3042_15v_impedance.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 202
  • LT3042_15v_imp.asc
    2.4 KB · Views: 62
  • LT3042_15v_PSRR.asc
    2.2 KB · Views: 60
These curves are based on simulations I did, with regulators based on the datasheet.

So the schematics have some more parts than those that are used by DIYINHK.

Perhaps someone can explain me why the differences or the parts missing from the DIYINHK design.

As I didn't quite like the ascending PSRR curve, I am now simulating that adding a CRC filter at the input, with remarkable results.

BTW, I do not see any kind of load on the first picture?