Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PSU for ebay amp build
PSU for ebay amp build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2019, 06:36 PM   #1
giro1991 is offline giro1991  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default PSU for ebay amp build

I tried to build a cheap amp using this PCB using TDA7923

It can do '100W x 2', however this is 10% THD. A more realistic handling wattage is probably half, 50W x 2, for ideal THD. I don't expect 8ohm bookshelf speakers to demand 50+ anyway.

So, if one doesn't need 100W, can the required PSU be correspondingly minimized (*VA or volts)? Thats my main curiosity. Regulation is built into the chip and datasheeet says it accept 12-50V AC.
I tried to use a fairly beefy 24-0-24 transfomer sourced from a Hitachi AX-M140. The hitachi is rated 2 x 35watt. I wired it up and played signal: no output. I since isolated transformer and measured one secondary with MM with mains applied and it does not reveal any voltage anymore (upstream fuses are intact).

If I had realised in advance how expensive a 28-0-28was going to be I would have just bought a second hand amp..... 50 for a transformer, REALLY?. and thats 25-0-25, let alone 28-0-28.

Last edited by giro1991; 3rd December 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sorry, but I have unclear the question. Using a smaller trafo or PSU surely it will be "overloaded" at full amp power output, but mainly in stronger music passages. For normal listening, you will not see any difference. A lower traffo or PSU voltage will correspondingly reduce output voltage following the squared rule: power is voltage squared divided by the resistance of the load. Maintaining the latter constant, power varies with voltage squared.

I don't understand why using the Hitachi trafo the set didn't performed.
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:10 PM   #3
FauxFrench is online now FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can take off some maximum power by using a lower supply voltage. The TDA7293 accepts up to 50V DC. Assume the output to go 3V from the rails in both directions.
Test the transformer windings with an Ohm-meter. I have never seen a transformer winding burn.
Like you, I am reluctant to pay for new transformers and in particular the freight. I pay some 15-20 Euros (possible new currency for you) for a defect amp. Nice quality transformers made in Japan in those days.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:31 PM   #4
giro1991 is offline giro1991  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks and thanks.
Quote:
Yes, you can take off some maximum power by using a lower supply voltage.
Great, thanks for clarification. Also, buying broken amps for transformers is definately more economical, strangley enough. While I agree a transformer that was in 35 mini-hifi cant do 50, for quiet listening levels it should be ok IMO.

As for winding burn - It is strange that there is no volt reading on the secondary. How many ohms should it read with ohm-meter?

Last edited by giro1991; 3rd December 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:15 PM   #5
FauxFrench is online now FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

My guess, in the order of 2 Ohm.

Defect amp. -> ask price for repair -> reply: 100 Eur minimum -> either dump it or let someone else pick it up for 15 Eur. I have managed to get many good transformers this way.

You write "no volt reading". Use Ohm for a start, not Volt. If all windings are not broken, you will have a voltage (if you measure at the right terminals).

PSU for ebay amp buildHide this!Advertise here!