Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Power unused circuits off: should power grounds be switched?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2019, 09:12 AM   #11
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgtc View Post
I want to also be able to power unused circuits off.
And the reason for this complication is? Just to please Greta?

Why use relays instead of mosfets?
Old 18th November 2019, 09:20 AM   #12
Vovk Z is offline Vovk Z  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If Iím not mistaken, one of the advantages of latching relays is that they only consume power when switching takes place?
Yes.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:36 AM   #13
zgtc is offline zgtc  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
And the reason for this complication is? Just to please Greta?
I donít know who that Greta is, but reasons explained in first and 7th post, more specifically
Quote:
I'm going to use DC power (avoiding AC mains completely). In this scenario, I think trying to avoid over-dimensioning the initial DC source and also avoid wasted unused power makes sense.
As for:

Quote:
Why use relays instead of mosfets?
I donít know how that would work, sorry for my ignorance. Also, would that approach allow the Arduino to manage the timing of those on/offs?

Thank you
Old 18th November 2019, 09:46 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Suitable mosfets are better than relays in the ON position and worse in the OFF. Don't make clicks, don't age, easy to control multiple switches.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, I donít know who that Greta is, but reasons explained in first and 7th post, more specifically
Read the 7th post. Looks like you do know Greta after all

Have you calculated the savings? Does it amount to whole milliwatts or just fractions?
Old 18th November 2019, 10:29 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Suitable mosfets are better than relays in the ON position and worse in the OFF. Don't make clicks, don't age, easy to control multiple switches.
Still, would that approach allow the Arduino to manage the timing of those on/offs?

Quote:
Read the 7th post. Looks like you do know Greta after all
If you say so

Quote:
Have you calculated the savings? Does it amount to whole milliwatts or just fractions?
Savings around full watts, yes. Phono amp can probably consume 0,25W per channel, but the RPi will consume 10W (5V@2A) if using display, etc.
Old 18th November 2019, 07:21 PM   #17
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

unless your chip draws alot, don't bother. I'm using an MKR1010 and it draws maybe 50ma. The I2C and logic draws almost nothing while in standby (not being accessed mode)
latching relays only draw while changing state. you will have to program in a latching pulse for both the "on" and "off" states of the relays.

I used CD4052 cmos switches for analog inputs on an old car stereo that is still a great sounding unit. I also used CD4066 for a stereo 1024 step volume control back in 85 or 86 that still outperforms most volume pots.

Last edited by stocktrader200; 18th November 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:35 AM   #18
kodabmx is online now kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Phono amp can probably consume 0,25W per channel
Damn. one of my tube phono stages uses almost 80W from the wall! 10 tubes, 2 for voltage regulation, all running from 12V with boost converters.
Old 19th November 2019, 11:53 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
unless your chip draws alot, don't bother. I'm using an MKR1010 and it draws maybe 50ma. The I2C and logic draws almost nothing while in standby (not being accessed mode)
It's not the MCU that worries me (Arduino consumes much less, but it also will be on all the time). The problem is the RPi, which consumes quite a lot more and it needs software/logic to power off gracefully.

Quote:
latching relays only draw while changing state. you will have to program in a latching pulse for both the "on" and "off" states of the relays.
cool, that was the main idea

Quote:
I used CD4052 cmos switches for analog inputs on an old car stereo that is still a great sounding unit. I also used CD4066 for a stereo 1024 step volume control back in 85 or 86 that still outperforms most volume pots.
mmm will have to look for it, but I don't think/remember CMOS switches for 4A. For instance, CD4052 & CD4066 DS state "DC input current Ī10mA". If there are other chips with higher input current tolerance, then it'd be a fantastic solution, yes, since I don't care too much for the audio signal quality here, we're talking about power rails. Will do my homework, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
Damn. one of my tube phono stages uses almost 80W from the wall! 10 tubes, 2 for voltage regulation, all running from 12V with boost converters.
Yup, but this is op-amp based, completely different approaches.

Thank you again, everyone
Old 20th November 2019, 10:12 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I might've found a way to avoid relays, using a power switch per each optional rail, at least for the 5V@3A. For instance, AP22815BWT-7. If I'm not mistaken this chip accepts a Input Voltage Range of 3.0V ~ 5.5V, and has an Enable input that acts as the switcher. It even has Overcurrent, Short-Circuit and Thermal Protection, Output Reverse-Voltage/Current Protection, Undervoltage Lockout etc. The EN feature is described as:

Quote:
ON/OFF Input Operator
The EN input allows the output current to be switched on and off using a GPIO compatible input. The high signal (switch on) must be at least 1.2V and the low signal (switch off) no higher than 0.4V. This pin should not be left floating. It is advisable to hold the EN signal low when applying or removing power
Would anyone here please confirm this is a valid approach or I'm completely nuts? If this is valid, I'd need to find a similar product for +12V and for -12V rails.

Thank you so much

Power unused circuits off: should power grounds be switched?Hide this!Advertise here!