Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best power supply for Class D audio power amplifier
Best power supply for Class D audio power amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2019, 05:49 PM   #11
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Many thanks Osvaldo!
Old 6th November 2019, 05:51 PM   #12
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
;-)
Old 6th November 2019, 06:59 PM   #13
wrayster is offline wrayster
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your comments. So if Iíve understood correctly, the Quasi-Resonant Power Supply should be fine for the amp board Iím looking at as the Amp is BTL configured.

So my next question is would I hear and significant difference in sound quality between this and any other type of power supply?
Old 6th November 2019, 07:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I can't be sure of this because I haven't musical ears nor musical knowledge, I'm only an Electronic Engineer. But surely, having the buses well regulated, the optimal performance of the amp is warranted from the electrical point of view, but some musicians find interesting the sag in the power lines, mainly in tube amplification. I am not in agree with this concept, technically is BAD.

It is true that bridge class D amps haven't bus bumps, as when one is draining current, the other is sinking it, thanks to the 180 electrical degrees phase inversion between them.
Old 6th November 2019, 08:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your comments. So if Iíve understood correctly, the Quasi-Resonant Power Supply should be fine for the amp board Iím looking at as the Amp is BTL configured.

So my next question is would I hear and significant difference in sound quality between this and any other type of power supply?
Old 7th November 2019, 11:49 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Almost any SMPS will be fine for BTL. But, paricularly the fly-back topology has the peculiarity of having the widest dynamic range, because it hasn't output inductor, classic PWM or resonant. This kind of SMPS would be my prefered, current mode still better, and with PFC still better.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:42 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Many thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 08:24 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I’ve ordered the 3eaudio tpa3255 2 channel amp and quasi supply
Old 16th November 2019, 12:22 PM   #19
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Class-D amplifiers have proven, to me, a legitimate choice to try, after my experience with Breezy Audio TPA3116 audio small power amplifier.

The low price and the numerous praises got me curious, and I bought one, along with a Nobsound, apparently marketed (made?) by Douk Audio.

The DC-DC supply seemed ready made for the TPA3116, with its 19v/3.42Ah capability.

The only problem I had was with poor heatsink contact on the TPA chip, easily solved with grease.

Now I wonder if a sturdier, larger, better somehow DC-DC power supply might be in order, particularly one that would allow me higher voltages and other Class-D power amps.

Today I got two offers from Banggood:

gophert nps-1601 0-32v 0-5a 110v/220v 160w switching digital adjustable dc power supply Sale - Banggood.com

rd6006/rd6006-w led switching power supply s-400w-48v/dc12v/15v/24v/36v/60v 8.3a-33.3a support monitoring transformer lighting Sale - Banggood.com

Capacities are quite different, and the 400W option seems like an overkill. But overkill in power supplies was usually a good thing.

I wish there was some place that did test DC-DC supplies for noise and other issues, particularly when powering audio stuff.

Has anyone tried any of these options or was considering to?

Any other recommendation to look for?

Thanks!

Best power supply for Class D audio power amplifierHide this!Advertise here!