Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Simple shunt regulator issue
Simple shunt regulator issue
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2019, 10:53 PM   #11
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvlemmi View Post
That's the measurement I get. The cathode of the zener (marked with the black band)
is connected to Vout. The anode to the base of the 549c.
Then I would try another Zener.
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:36 AM   #12
steveu is offline steveu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvlemmi View Post
Thanks, what would the value of this base resistor be?
On the point of the mosfet, what would you recommend? A different mosfet, if so which one?

The biggest wiring issues definitely are to find in the top of my head, I'm doing my best to learn and rearrange that wiring though.

Edit: I have a spare BC549, also a spare zener (perhaps its a good idea to get some extra, to keep the good parts out until I get everything to work).
A base resistor of about 100 Ohms would limit the fault condition current to about 100mA.
The FET is a problem because "lateral" FETs with low gate voltages are going away. A popular number was 2SJ162. I looked in the selector guides at onsemi and the only such parts where small smt. You may be best to switch to a BJT or rearrange the circuit so that ~10VDC is available to the gate. You should also consider that N channel devices are a better variety, cheaper, and more available, so it would be better to invert the shunt to use a PNP and a N-channel FET. A big part of designing electronic circuits is knowing and working with common available parts.

But I think as a beginner you should not try to make anything special like your shunt regulator. There are plenty of simple 5V regulators.
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:15 AM   #13
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

What is your Rload?

Jan
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Hvlemmi is offline Hvlemmi  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
What is your Rload?

Jan

I have used both 3R and 103R as a load.

Steveu, I have gotten more complex circuitry to work and I am confident that with some feedback on the matter I am able to get this working as well. I will adopt your 100r on the base and I am thankful for that.
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:36 PM   #15
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

The series R is 27R. A 3R load will never give more Vout than ~1/10th of Vin...
A 103R load will max give ~3/4th of Vin as Vout.
You should initially check this out without any load or with a very light load like 1k.

Basic check: if you disconnect everything after the zener and bias resistor, what do you then see across the zener?

Jan

Simple shunt regulator issueHide this!Advertise here!